Logged Users (last hour): 16
Registered Users: 227,143

Cockroaches in my microwave

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
nelago's picture

Hi folks,

So... we've had cockroach sightings in our kitchen before, but we've just come back from 10 days away and the kitchen is infested. I don't understand this because all food was put away and stored during our absence and no cooking has taken place there for eons, and moreover, our ayi has the place looking spotless. What's strange is that the cockroaches aren't even anywhere near where food is stored - I found one in the cutlery drawer, for example, and just now, I heated up a plate of food in the microwave and when I opened the door, a big fat juicy one crawled out. So...

a) how did the cockroach get into the microwave in the first place (the door was closed) (and I know it didn't go in with my plate of food) (at least I sure hope not)

and even grosser

b) why didn't the cockroach explode while the microwave oven was on?

More practically, does anyone have any tricks / tips for getting rid of cockroaches? Is there a local product that won't kill me or my newborn baby and still get rid of all these awful bugs?

Thanks for your tips.

nelago

shizo's picture

Hi. You mentioned having a newborn baby, but your questions sound like you are the baby. :o

You need this:

And this:

about2travel's picture

That's pain for you man, this is horrible.
Though Beijing cockroaches are nothing compared to SE Asia ones. In vietnam it was constant war against mice-sized panzer insects, uuuch
plus they're really stupid, no way to bite or protect themselves when they get nervous they just run straight towards you, perfectly aware they're gonna die within three seconds, fuckin kamikazes

Anyway I've never heard about cockroaches in microwaves but what you say is horrible. I bet they're this kind of specy (spell ?) that could survive a nuclear war, like scorpions and rats.

Hell, the Earth is far from being saved... :?

ancicamila's picture

We had roaches last year as well.

Complained to the landlady and she got us some poison stuff, chinese-russian brand, I saw it for the first time.

It was very efficient (knock on woods).

Get the poison, kill them all. Try different stuff untill you find the one that works.

No matter how clean your place is, if they're there it's not really safe.

thegongshow's picture

auggggggggh. glad you got rid of the roaches. i had an infestation in my old place last summer, it was so horrible. they laid a nest underneath the coffee maker (i still can't figure out how, maybe they climbed up inside?!) and they were everywhere. i must have used a whole can of raid before my ayi got me the trap things. the kitchen was always spotless and i barely cooked - my ayi told me that they were probably coming in through the walls and pipes from t he other apartments or outside.

those things gross me out like nothing else. it was the NASTIEST surprise in the world when my boyfriend and i started hunting around to see where they were coming from and lifting the coffee maker to see hundreds scuttling out.

crj's picture
crj

This is a HK company that sells baby and pet safe bug/roach/ant killer

http//biocycle.com.hk

Hong Kong, Singapore, China, Malaysia, Indonesia
ECOLOGICAL PRODUCTS CORP. LTD.
Unit 5-7, Ground Floor
Po Hing Centre, 18 Wang Chiu Road
Kowloon Bay / Kowloon / Hong Kong
Phone +852 2795 6914
Fax +852 2795 7401
www.biokill.com.hk

Why don't you contact them and see if/where they sell in BJ?

Herbz's picture

Save the cash on commercial stuff, powdered sugar and baking soda mixed in equal parts kills them. It gets stuck on their legs, they lick it off and their insides explode. :twisted:

herojuana's picture

Damn...

I have a similar problem, also tried microwaving one of the cockroaches, it just walked around in there, seeming to be fine.

That somewhat frightens me. But they aren't fire-proof.

I guess I should go back to the box-trap-thingy... it at least kills some of them.

Please look at my thread regarding moving apartments and cockroaches... can they somehow follow you?

jieren's picture

Interesting stuff guys. Yes, roaches are immune to radiation, so nuking them in the micro does nothing. They ARE the only life form that could survive a nuclear war!
Those box things work, sometimes, but they soon cop on to them, not completely stupid you know!
Even crumbs in the kitchen, cooker hoods with baked on grease in the places we can't see/reach will ensure them registering with the local police and moving in.
Alex's concoction of baking soda and water sounds mental, but it could do the trick.

Herbz's picture

Just read that roaches aren't that tough

Quote:
Written by May Berenbaum, professor and head of the Department of Entomology, University of Illinois; published in American Entomologist 47(3).

"[They] conclusively demonstrated that the American cockroach was, compared with the rest of the known irradiated insect world, a wimp; P. americana died at doses of 20,000 rads. In comparison, it was noted that D. melanogaster [fruit fly] had a LD100 of 64,000 rads and the parasitoid wasp Habrobracon an LD100 of 180,000 rads."

Lol

source

http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-14061.html

jieren's picture

Thats a Yank roach!!! D

fifi_roo's picture

we had cockroaches in our place, mainly the kitchen and bathroom and lived under the sink. I sprayed so much raid, i think i singed my nostrils... but everytime i told anyone about the roaches, they said that you shouldnt step on them because either, they let off a scent which others follow, or they stick to the sole of your shoe and you spread their eggs??? its this true?

Wild Card's picture

I used a powder conconctin, looks a littl ebit like cinnamon, it worked gret, have not had one roach back since using it.

Also, why step on a roach? use some toilet paper and drown the bastards, it takes longer, and is more painful.

Plus there is nothing to clean up afterwards

toballoyola's picture

Did you know that cockroaches are the oldest insects dating back as far as the dinosaur period? :arrow: .

~ Tobal.

thegongshow's picture
"fifi_roo" wrote:
we had cockroaches in our place, mainly the kitchen and bathroom and lived under the sink. I sprayed so much raid, i think i singed my nostrils... but everytime i told anyone about the roaches, they said that you shouldnt step on them because either, they let off a scent which others follow, or they stick to the sole of your shoe and you spread their eggs??? its this true?

yeah, i've heard that too. apparently the especially juicy ones are full of especially juicy baby cockroach eggs, so stepping on them or squishing them isn't the best idea. i stomped a couple and then wiped it up and raid'd the crap out of the entire area, but i don't know if it was effective.

good luck!

fifi_roo's picture

so annoying isnt it? i just wana squish the buggers whenever i see them. they are evil. i saw one in my bed when i was in a motel down south and completely freaked. what made it worse was that i didnt know where it went! also in our crummy place, my flatmate had a roach drop on him while he was doing his business in the toilet / hole in the floor. not nice. it was also our shower.
the microwave really does baffle me though. :?
hope you get rid of them!!!

nelago's picture

Wow - I've been away from the forum for a little while and am catching up on this thread. Thanks for the sympathy and suggestions - I think I'll try the baking soda suggestion and also like the bio products from Hong Kong. I am totally grossed out by the tiny roach eggs I have been spreading because, believe me, I've been killing them with a now-dedicated-roach-killing-shoe as fast as I can see them. I did use Raid but honestly, it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. They seem to be coming in by the dishwasher and sink.

Anyway - thanks for all your responses.

(Any Canadians out there who remember by a Toronto band called "get out of my house roach"?)

nelago

nelago's picture

Out of my house roach video: http://www.shuffledemons.com/video_roach.php

beike's picture
"thegongshow" wrote:

those things gross me out like nothing else. it was the NASTIEST surprise in the world when my boyfriend and i started hunting around to see where they were coming from and lifting the coffee maker to see hundreds scuttling out.

:shock: :shock:

damn

teller2008's picture

Hi,
I just saw your problem,I got the same trouble before,and it's really bad to deal with cockroaches, and I was crazy about that. I ask many friends for help,at last, I found a good service , after their service, the next days,there were lots of cockroaches die on my floor, and I was surprised by the view in front of me. here is their number:8184-7770, I think maybe you may need