Chinese anti-Google virus
My computer is currently suffering from a very nasty and rather peculiar virus attack. I almost certainly got it from using the file transfer programme eMule. I am running an unofficial version of Windows XP.
- I can't access Google or Gmail - it redirects me to Baidu.
- I get Chinese pop-ups.
- Sometimes I get a Chinese programme installed.
- I can't run or reinstall AVG anti-spyware software.
- I can't seem to download any other kind of anti-spyware software.
- I can run (and update every day) AVG anti-virus software which picks up about 20 trojan horses and some nasty "Ajax" things every day as they pour in through my vulnerable system.
- I can download videos but I can't download email attachments.
- I can run Lavasoft Adaware but that doesn't seem to clear it.
My theory is that this is some kind of spyware but I'm really not sure how to clear it.
Last time I had virus problems I kept internet use to a minium and updated and scanned with AVG anti-virus and AVG anti-spyware every day and after about a week I was completely clear.
Perhaps because I can't run AVG anti-spyware things don't look like they are going to get any better.
Anyone got any ideas?