Chinese anti-Google virus

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

My computer is currently suffering from a very nasty and rather peculiar virus attack. I almost certainly got it from using the file transfer programme eMule. I am running an unofficial version of Windows XP.

- I can't access Google or Gmail - it redirects me to Baidu.
- I get Chinese pop-ups.
- Sometimes I get a Chinese programme installed.
- I can't run or reinstall AVG anti-spyware software.
- I can't seem to download any other kind of anti-spyware software.

- I can run (and update every day) AVG anti-virus software which picks up about 20 trojan horses and some nasty "Ajax" things every day as they pour in through my vulnerable system.
- I can download videos but I can't download email attachments.
- I can run Lavasoft Adaware but that doesn't seem to clear it.

My theory is that this is some kind of spyware but I'm really not sure how to clear it.

Last time I had virus problems I kept internet use to a minium and updated and scanned with AVG anti-virus and AVG anti-spyware every day and after about a week I was completely clear.

Perhaps because I can't run AVG anti-spyware things don't look like they are going to get any better.

Anyone got any ideas?

"Count_zero" wrote:
My computer is currently suffering from a very nasty and rather peculiar virus attack. I almost certainly got it from using the file transfer programme eMule. I am running an unofficial version of Windows XP.

- I can't access Google or Gmail - it redirects me to Baidu.
- I get Chinese pop-ups.
- Sometimes I get a Chinese programme installed.
- I can't run or reinstall AVG anti-spyware software.
- I can't seem to download any other kind of anti-spyware software.

- I can run (and update every day) AVG anti-virus software which picks up about 20 trojan horses and some nasty "Ajax" things every day as they pour in through my vulnerable system.
- I can download videos but I can't download email attachments.
- I can run Lavasoft Adaware but that doesn't seem to clear it.

My theory is that this is some kind of spyware but I'm really not sure how to clear it.

Last time I had virus problems I kept internet use to a minium and updated and scanned with AVG anti-virus and AVG anti-spyware every day and after about a week I was completely clear.

Perhaps because I can't run AVG anti-spyware things don't look like they are going to get any better.

Anyone got any ideas?

Yes, China does that time to time it directs the google home page to goto baidu.

If you still have problems, then I suggest you go and buy a orginical copy of xp, back up your data and do a full disk format then reinstalling xp.

...same with me, then I have removed emule and bought the newest NORTON version of Antivirus and spy and all this things, after installation, it took about 6 hours and the lappi was clean - without deleting all the software and files!!

The ORIGINAL NORTON costs about 350 RMB inlcuding 365 days upgrade from the Internet!!!

try use firefox if you're not already, billion times better than internet explorer. maybe then you can download anti-spyware programs. try spy bot...its pretty good

The other thing to try is the online virus scanners. It also never hurts to have a boot disk with antivirus on it, although they go out of date pretty quickly. I have something called The Cleaner that monitors the registry and tells me if something has altered it. Thats quite good too. I am sure there are other similar ones.

First of all thanks for all your quick replies. I'll try them out tomorrow and report back.

Quote:
then I suggest you go and buy a orginical copy of xp, back up your data and do a full disk format then reinstalling xp.
Well.. I don't really want to back up now because I might back up the virus. I last backed up on DVDs about a month ago so I would lose quite a bit of work.
Quote:
same with me, then I have removed emule and bought the newest NORTON version of Antivirus
When you say "same with me" could I ask how similar? Like EXACTLY the same? I cancelled all the files currently downloading on eMule.
Quote:
use firefox if you're not already, billion times better than internet explorer. maybe then you can download anti-spyware programs.
It's possible that the virus is exploiting something in IE. I guess I might have firefox on CD somewhere. I'll probably try that.
Quote:
Use this to fix it
http://www.ca.com/files/CleaningUtilitiesAndTools/ClnPinf...
I'll try that when I get home but if it's a download.... It'll probably cut off. Maybe I'll try installing a browser and then trying..

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

you could also try Puppylinux. That boots from CD (or USB, or hard disk), loads into memory and does not touch your hard drive unless you want it to and it has loads of good stuff already there. Word-lookalike-compatible doc editor and things. It also saves the system when you close down as a file (to Windows file system if you like) and so you can load it up again next time and continue.

I believe you have to reinstall xp with the private data backuped and I suggest you replace AVG anti-spyware software free edition with Macfee or norton, because AVG isn't reliable according to my expereince.

Before you go for the nuke it from orbit approach, try booting into safe mode (without networking) by hitting F8 during boot time and then try installing a virgin copy of the AVG antivirus and antispyware stuff from a thumbdrive or CD/DVD.

Virus and spyware authors need to have their privates basted in honey and then staked to the ground straddling a fire ant mound.

Cheers,

Quote:
try booting into safe mode (without networking) by hitting F8 during boot time
Ah yes. THAT'S how you do that. I'd forgotten. I will try that.

Update - I guess other people might face the same problem.

Quote:
Use this to fix it
http://www.ca.com/files/CleaningUtilitiesAndTools/ClnPinf...

I tried that and it said that it didn't detect anything. It did seem to some kind of change though as now AVG anti-virus doesn't pick up so many viruses each time.

Also, now Lavasoft Adaware finds "Cinmus" each time but can't remove it. I've searched around for "Cinmus" and found some programmes but none of them seem to get rid of it (or want $40 dollars to have a try).

A programme called Xoft Spy SE, for instance seems to detect loads of stuff but I don't want to pay money if I don't know it's going to work.