ATM stole my money. Please help me to get it back!

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi all,

Yesterday I tried to take out money from an ATM at the Beijing airport. My card was accepted, pin code ok, but no money came out of the machine. The message that appeared on the screen was "Hardware error". So no money, but the money that I wanted to withdraw has been taken from my account!

Is there any way I can get this money back?

The ATM was one of the Agricultural Bank of China. (It was one of those machines standing just on itself, so no bank office ATM.)

I used my foreign bank card. I do have the receipt.

How do I get my money back? (2,000 RMB!) Anyone had this problem before in China? How to solve it?

Thanks!

Anne

What kind of ATM card do you have? You need to report it to your bank card owner.

It is a Meastro card from a foreign bank, issued outside China.

I don't have any special information about such a situation, but here's my thinking:

You have a receipt that says you withdrew money as well as (I'm assuming) an online account site that shows the money was deducted from your account. But at the same time, you claim no money was dispensed from the machine. It's going to be very difficult, in my opinion, to prove that you are right, since there is a receipt and activity on your account.

Obviously, the fault here is with the particular machine. You could try contacting someone at the bank to tell them, but I doubt that's going to go anywhere. They really have no other reason to believe, beyond your claim, that the machine didn't spit out the dough. Unless they could go back and examine the ATM security camera tapes to see what happened. Good luck getting that to happen.

You should probably also call your card issuer to see what they recommend.

According to my Chinese colleague, I will get my money back. She has experienced a similar problem before...

But the question still is how to get it back.

I have called the Agricultural bank. They told me to call the bank that issued my card and send a copy of the receipt to my bank. The bank will then contact the Agricultural bank and try to get it back. Hope it works that way...

By the way: It does say a strange code on the 代码说明 spot on the receipt. "0000" is suppose to mean a successful transaction, while on my receipt it says "98"...

Any new input on a solution?

I would use the receipt, go to the bank and explain. I guess you wont be the only one complaining to them about this machine.

Some of these machines have cameras, maybe if they refuse refund, you can ask them to look at the tape? Though i doubt that will happen.

its happened to me, maestro card random chinese bank, no reciept.

the thing is I didnt know money had actually been taken out even though I didn't get any cash in hand.

The only reason why I found out is because my bank put back 200 euro in my bank account randomly citing that 200 had been taken out at a Chinese bank accidentally.

so i guess you could just wait.... but I would recommend calling the bank at your home country

Hi Cowbi,

That is good to read, that gives me some hope that I will get my money back.

I will call my bank tonight...

Anna,
it happened to me last week too. The same amount, EU debit card and U.S. bank ATM, no receipt tho.

The things that worked for me:
-Calling my bank to report ATM malfunction
-Calling ATM bank for ATM report that no cash has been withdrawn
-Waiting for 2 days, transaction cancelled, funds restored.

Don't worry, I guess that even Chinese ATMs have daily reports on how much cash they paying off. Just, don't sit and wait. Do some phone calls!
Good luck.

They can tell straight away that it took your money.

The machine logs will say exactly what time the error occoured, how much the withdrawral was and whether the money came out or not. Also a manual tally oh how much money is in the machine will show straight away that there is 2000 extra.

All you should need to do is tell your bank overseas, probably need to send a signed fax with your passport or something - ask them. They will tell the agricultural bank who will then send the money back to your bank who will then put it in your account.

Hi you, i met the same situation as you did, just the bank is different(suffering by Bank of China), I called the Bank's hotline and complain immediately, the answer was i should wait no more than 15 workdays, that's ok for me too, but so weird was i call the hotline again a couple of days late, then the story changed, the reception told me i need wait no more than 30 workdays, that's really si-ck!!
so you can immage, i could not get my money 2500 RMB back yet, and i am still open my eyes for it..............

"wewe" wrote:
Hi you, i met the same situation as you did, just the bank is different(suffering by Bank of China), I called the Bank's hotline and complain immediately, the answer was i should wait no more than 15 workdays, that's ok for me too, but so weird was i call the hotline again a couple of days late, then the story changed, the reception told me i need wait no more than 30 workdays, that's really si-ck!!
so you can immage, i could not get my money 2500 RMB back yet, and i am still open my eyes for it..............

Of course, bank of china is chinese, what do you expect? These things only work if the banks have to abide by laws, so banks in the countries where most of the people on this forum come to are OK because their banks will do something about it and unless the chinese banks want to lose their privilege of connecting to international systems they must comply. If it happens with a local chinese card at a local chinese bank, well good luck ever seeing your money again.

I had the same issue at China Construction Bank. The machine said "Mix Error - Contact Bank" and stopped before giving me my money.

I checked my bank acocunt and it showed the transaction, but as "pending..."

A few days later it was not on my account anymore. I guess they automatically removed it.

Whew!

I wasn't going to say it but sounds like some sort of implicit discrimination against foreign bank and debit cards.....hmmm....