Logged Users (last hour): 15
Registered Users: 227,144

Dangerous spiders in Beijing?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
GordonBrown's picture

Hey! Just woke up and noticed a large spider-type creepy crawlie walking on my bed, it ran behind the bed before I could kill it. This brought a question to my mind, are there any dangerous spiders in Beijing? Venomous or those ones that lay eggs under your skin? Smile

chaofan's picture

Actually in my years living here I have never seen a spider in my home and rarely see them outside as well. I do get cockroaches in my home in the summer though and they freak me out when I see them moving out of the corner of my eye on the floor but I am not scared of them.

herojuana's picture

Don't kill spiders.

They eat pests, and they won't harm you if you don't harm them.

Guest's picture

Bear Grylls eat spiders.

Kc_guy's picture

Maybe the spider was saying to herself OMG! Look at that monster, he wants to kill me and run away to hide LOL. That’s more likely from the story. And from the size I gather it was a female spider.

There should be a lot of spiders in BJ but because of using chemicals to control “pests” most spiders and other life forms that maintain natural balance have disappeared and instead BJ has a lot of flies, mosquitoes, rats, cockroaches (the so called German verity cockroaches).

There are sooooo many spiders and lizards in my and chaofan’s hometown (California) that is impossible to be able to take a walk at night and not get spider webs on your face. I think that is also true in Oregon, where chaofan used to live. And guess what? Because of this, so many birds and other factors flies and mosquitoes are not a problem there.

Spiders are very interesting, they can live up to 2 or even 3 years without food or water. It is estimated that we swallow about 60 spiders at nights in our life time. But maybe just 2 if you live in BJ. It is good to get bitten by spiders, bees, ants…in nature. Our bodies build the immune system and it is healthy. It is much better than having allergies which is body’s overreaction from what’s in nature.

herojuana is right. Don’t kill spiders. Your action alone has little effect but the fact that you are consciously aware of you connection to spiders and your actions are consistent with you awareness, then expect good things to happen in your life.

walls's picture
Kc_guy wrote:
Maybe the spider was saying to herself OMG!

I doubt it was saying anything to itself. Just reacting not really contemplating.

Isn't the lack of insects in Beijing do to Mao and his "Bang on pots to scare away all birds policy" from 40 some years ago? It really wrecked the wildlife balance here I heard.

I get some really small spiders in my apartment in BJ. I don't know what they live on but I don't kill them, they don't bother me. Now Flies and Mosquitos is another story.

xenophon's picture
GordonBrown wrote:
Hey! Just woke up and noticed a large spider-type creepy crawlie walking on my bed, it ran behind the bed before I could kill it. This brought a question to my mind, are there any dangerous spiders in Beijing? Venomous or those ones that lay eggs under your skin? :)

I've been here a spell. Spiders are pretty uncommon. I've never been bitten by anything. I wouldn't worry .

GordonBrown's picture

Alrighty, thanks for the answers.

If I'm dead some morning due to a venomous spider attack in the night, I shall come here to complain.

The Lizard King's picture
GordonBrown wrote:
Alrighty, thanks for the answers.

If I'm dead some morning due to a venomous spider attack in the night, I shall come here to complain.

:O but, but, but...you'd be dead already! wtf?
you're gonna come here to complain AFTER you die from a venomous spider attack? :/
hahaha! i dont think you know what you just said! :))
silly gordonbrown...

OH WAIT! NOOOOOOOOOO!
OMG!
I JUST GOT THAT!
wow, that is witty, man! holy molly! flew riiiiiiiight above my head, that one!
:))
f.u.n.n.y.

(now, can someone translate all that in superb chinglish so it looks like i meant it?) Wink

Monkey King's picture
walls wrote:

Isn't the lack of insects in Beijing do to Mao and his "Bang on pots to scare away all birds policy" from 40 some years ago? It really wrecked the wildlife balance here I heard.

Hahaha, I forgot about that. Yet another of The Chairman's brilliant policies.

On the other hand, at least this one didn't involve genocide. This one was just incredibly stupid, not particularly evil.

Guest's picture

I went to wangfujing snack street yesterday, I noticed that there are many vendors selling fried spiders and fried scorpions :&

Kc_guy's picture
Monkey King wrote:
walls wrote:

On the other hand, at least this one didn't involve genocide. This one was just incredibly stupid, not particularly evil.

There are a lot of things that we had to learn in the last 40 thousand years (2000 generations).

In the last 40 years we started to see that there are scientific evidences that some of the things the wiser one’s told us 4 thousand years ago are correct.
That there is a balance in nature (the laws of nature) that must be obeyed and respected and that all things in nature are connected.

And that the life forms that are over 40 thousand times older than us have internalized some of these laws in their systems that “walls” calls “reacting” (instincts).
And that life forms that didn’t live by the laws of nature have perished.

And that the younger and more foolish forms of life are still…as “walls” call it…contemplating (pondering) on what to do.

But I’m sure that walls wanted to say that the life forms that are contemplating are higher life forms because we are still trying to figure it out through our reasoning.

It was not just Chairman Mao but also Churchill, Charles de Gualle, Eisenhower, Hitler and many others that were set to change the nature of things as though they knew better how nature should be shaped than…I don’t want to say God to raise controversy.
Was it the 1st President Roosevelt as a proud hunter of especially Elephants and he liked Bears too?

We are still wrapped in our politics and egos sorting out the heroes and villains. We give our heroes characteristics of tigers and lions (life forms that are disappearing) and insult the villains by calling them animals and worse yet…as low as an insect/creepy crawler (one of the most successful life form on earth.)

I think as long as we have these genetically disposition to be great people that have been called Profits. Gurus, Saints, thinkers, geniuses and gifted people to lead as along, there is still hope for us. Their tasks seem more difficult for they have to compete with the interests of free market economy and governments, but I’m sure they would know what to do.

walls's picture
Kc_guy wrote:
Monkey King wrote:
walls wrote:

There are a lot of things that we had to learn in the last 40 thousand years (2000 generations).

In the last 40 years we started to see that there are scientific evidences that some of the things the wiser one’s told us 4 thousand years ago are correct.
That there is a balance in nature (the laws of nature) that must be obeyed and respected and that all things in nature are connected.

And that the life forms that are over 40 thousand times older than us have internalized some of these laws in their systems that “walls” calls “reacting” (instincts).

And that the younger and more foolish forms of life are still…as “walls” call it…contemplating (pondering) on what to do.

But I’m sure that walls wanted to say that the life forms that are contemplating are higher life forms because we are still trying to figure it out through our reasoning.

It was not just Chairman Mao but also Churchill, Charles de Gualle, Eisenhower, Hitler and many others that were set to change the nature of things as though they knew better how nature should be shaped than…I don’t want to say God to raise controversy.
Was it the 1st President Roosevelt as a proud hunter of especially Elephants and he liked Bears too?

We are still wrapped in our politics and egos sorting out the heroes and villains. We give our heroes characteristics of tigers and lions (life forms that are disappearing) and insult the villains by calling them animals and worse yet…as low as an insect/creepy crawler (one of the most successful life form on earth.)

I think as long as we have these genetically disposition to be great people that have been called Profits. Gurus, Saints, thinkers, geniuses and gifted people to lead as along, there is still hope for us. Their tasks seem more difficult for they have to compete with the interests of free market economy and governments, but I’m sure they would know what to do.

Keep reading your guru's and thinking about your "profits" "Kc" guy, haha. Nothing is 40 thousand times older than anything else.

Monkey King's picture
Kc_guy wrote:

Yeah, that's exactly what I took from Walls' comment too. 8|
Kc_guy's picture
walls wrote:
Kc_guy wrote:
Monkey King wrote:
walls wrote:

Keep reading your guru's and thinking about your "profits" "Kc" guy, haha. Nothing is 40 thousand times older than anything else.

LOL! you are absolutely right walls, I got carried away with an extra zeros there. So make that 4,000 times older and still comes up to half the age of cockroaches that date back to 300 million years ago. 4,000 X 40,000 = 160,000,000.

I was looking at 40,000 years ago when we started to move out of Africa populating the rest of the planet according to the tracing of our DNA. The earliest sign of anything that comes close to human is that of a primitive form of ape 23 million years ago.

I was watching a documentary film called “journey of man” that was tracking the human history through our DNA and the information presented their added up to other information that I had read on this topic. DNA information has shown to be a much more reliable and accurate way of tracking human history and development.

If you are interested in such things walls watch the film, I think you will enjoy it.

walls's picture
Kc_guy wrote:
walls wrote:
Kc_guy wrote:
Monkey King wrote:
walls wrote:

LOL! you are absolutely right walls, I got carried away with an extra zeros there. So make that 4,000 times older and still comes up to half the age of cockroaches that date back to 300 million years ago. 4,000 X 40,000 = 160,000,000.

I was looking at 40,000 years ago when we started to move out of Africa populating the rest of the planet according to the tracing of our DNA. The earliest sign of anything that comes close to human is that of a primitive form of ape 23 million years ago.

I was watching a documentary film called “journey of man” that was tracking the human history through our DNA and the information presented their added up to other information that I had read on this topic. DNA information has shown to be a much more reliable and accurate way of tracking human history and development.

If you are interested in such things walls watch the film, I think you will enjoy it.

Thank you but I am not interested. I don't buy Darwinism.

laobagua's picture
herojuana wrote:
Don't kill spiders.
They eat pests, and they won't harm you if you don't harm them.

Fantastic logic you have here. Kill one pest with another pest, well spiders are pests too. Are you going to tell me to have a rat infestation with spider-eating rats, and that I shouldn't kill the rats?

Spiders are pests, and damn ugly, creepy ones that move in all directions and love hiding in places like your shoes and bed.

I'll much rather take the ants and cockroaches which are much easier to deal with, and less scary-looking. At least they have less legs which reduces their creepy factor.

The Equalizer's picture

40 thousand years (2000 generations).

WTF? How long is a generation in your mind?

slk3's picture
The Equalizer wrote:
40 thousand years (2000 generations).

WTF? How long is a generation in your mind?

40 /2 = 20, every 20 years one generation, it sounds reasonable.