Residence permit validity after termination of employment

28 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm going to be leaving my job soon, terminating my contract, and presumably in doing so also canceling my work permit. Has anyone gone through this process prior to getting a new job?

Once my employment permit is canceled, how long do have to find a new job before I have to go through all the Z visa nonsense again, including the health check and trip to HK.

If I don't get a new job and new residence permit processed within that time period, do I have to leave the country? Of course I'm not going to give my passport to anyone so my visa won't have a "canceled" stamp on it, but I've heard this is tied to the work permit, so after the work permit is canceled the visa is technically canceled. Any experience?

Thanks.

you have several choices:
1.before the expired date of your Z visa, find another company and change your work permit
2.convert Z visa to F or L visa without leaving the country
3.go to hk to get L visa,then extend or convert it to F or Z visa.
hope useful

if you have any visa problem,just contact me ,i will try my best to help you
e-mail:crystal86927@126.com
phone:13466794927

Well, if you are already a Z visa holder, I mean, the residence permit holder, you don't need leave for your visa renewal.
First of all, you should prepare your documents before the expire date. 30 days in advance would be better.
It isn't necessary to prepare the medical examination again but the release letter, the bechalor degree paper, the working experience certificate and, of course, the sponsorship materials from any company that is willing to provide.

What's the most important documents you should get forhand is the release letter.

BTW, if your visa is going to expire soon, and you can not get another sponsorship at the same time, we can help extending your Z visa even without that.

Good Luck!

Grace

China Visa Services-The Beginning of Easier and Better Life.

E-mail:grace.jin@163.com
MP:+86-13811299056
OP:+86-010-58156222 ext.122
Grace jin

You can find another company and change your work permit,you should prepare your documents before the expire date. 30 days in advance would be better.
It isn't necessary to prepare the medical examination again but the release letter, the bechalor degree paper, the working experience certificate and, of course, the sponsorship materials from any company that is willing to provide.

Call:Ben
Phone number: 13520110436
Office Tel:010-58156222ext 123
MSN:shiluozhe2004@yahoo.com.cn
QQ:752374359
Address:Room707-708,CYTSPlaza.No.5DongZhimenSouth Avenue,Dongcheng District, Beijing,P.R.China

Hello,My dear friend.I am Ben. When we finally meet , we will know how to be grateful. I will spare no effort to help you.
Phone number: 13520110436 Tel:010-58156222ext 123 MSN:shiluozhe2004@yahoo.com.cn

Hi there,

For your case, you'd better renew your current RP(Residence permit) which is far more easier than any other solutions, what you need to do is just find a sponsor company n do it with all documents required:

Cancelation receipt of employment permit and release letter from your previous company is required, you wont need health check for renew RP.

If you canot find a new employer 10 days ahead of visa expire date, you'd better find an agency to do it for you.

Need my help or more info. feel free to let me know.

Phyllis

Email: pleechina@gmail.com

Thank you all for your responses. Unfortunately, none referred to the issue at hand.

My residence permit is not going to expire any time soon. I am not concerned about getting it extended, and I do not need a new Z visa.

I am going to leave my job. From the date of my release letter (which will be the date I leave my job), is there a 30 day time restriction within which I need to have my work permit re-assigned to a new company before it becomes invalid?

If there is such a restriction, am I technically supposed to cancel my residence permit and get a new L/F/whatever visa to stay in the country if I haven't been signed on to a new company within the required time? Again, note that my residence permit will not expire in any relevant time frame.

Thanks!

Hi there,

The date of leaving your job is the date of terminating your contract. The release letter don't have time restriction. So you don't need to care it if you don't want to have a Z visa again.

Your residence permit will expire until your employment permit expire. You need to leave China when your residence permit expired. Or you can let some visa agents help you, convert Z visa to another type directly without leave China.

I sent you a private message just now. Please check it in time.Hope you all the best!

Kind Regards

Alysia

Never heard there is limitation on that, normally u can renew Z when you get a new job. If u will change it to L/F, u wont b able to chang it back to Z unless u go out of the country to get new visa.
phyllis

Email: pleechina@gmail.com

Dear agents,

I know you're trying to be helpful, and I appreciate that, but please try not to confuse your terms, or it's hard to take your statements seriously.

A Z visa, a residence permit, and an employment permit are all very different things. I suspect many of you are not so familiar with my question, because there isn't really an opportunity for you to get business out of this type of transition. I'm really hoping there's a foreigner who's gone through this before; either quit or been fired from their legal employer before lining up new employment.

Dear Jon.black.ba

Mayba I have confused your terms,But someone in our company may meet the case like yours. So I think If you arenot busy, I can have a chart with you.
I will find someone in my company to help you.
Regards.
Feel free to call me.
Phone number: 13520110436 Tel:010-58156222ext 123 MSN:shiluozhe2004@yahoo.com.cn

Hello,My dear friend.I am Ben. When we finally meet , we will know how to be grateful. I will spare no effort to help you.

Hi

Currently i changed my job in china so my current Al lien work permit should be terminated,

but still my current resident permit is Valid for next 4 months, is that possible that i could enter china using my current resident permit which is accompanied by the work permit
from the previous employer or i need to enter china with new business Visa please kindly advice.

Bhoopal

The problem is that a company will not usually issue a release letter until you hand over your passport and cancel the applicable temporary residence permit which is linked to your employment.

wow not a single person including agent correctly answered this question. You have 30 days from when your former company reports your contract terminated to SAFEA, after 30 days they will not approve any transfered of your employement permit or foreign experts certificate and they become void. Without these documents the exit/entry department will not renew your residence permit. What really is being cancelled is your foreign employeemnt permit/foreign expert certificate which is directly linked to your residence permit so you need to make sure it is transferred if you dont want to go through the process of getting a new residence permit from scratch. You need to have a letter of termination from your former company, good luck getting this, they know you only have 30 days to get it and will stall and refuse to give it to you until the time expires if they want to be jerks, even if you contact SAFEA it will take more than 30 days to resolve any disputes at which point you have no use for the letter. any real agent who know anything about employeement visa will be able to transfer you residence permit and certificate once you find a new company, if they tell you they cant then it means they know nothing about employeement visas and have never done it before because it is quite common to do and the exit/entry bereau handle these cases all the time. It should be no problem if you can get the letter of termination and find a new job in less than 30 days

I believe the employer is required to give the release letter at the time of termination. Without it, you've got your job still.

Hey,

Sorry to bother you. I'm in a similar situation as you were and wanted to know what happened to your situation? Did you get to keep your residence permit and stay in China? I was thinking about just staying in China and traveling until my visa expires, but based on the comments on this post, I might only have 30 days from the time my employer reports my termination.

Any info would help.

Thanks!

Jmunny

Joshua Mun wrote:

Hey,

Sorry to bother you. I'm in a similar situation as you were and wanted to know what happened to your situation? Did you get to keep your residence permit and stay in China? I was thinking about just staying in China and traveling until my visa expires, but based on the comments on this post, I might only have 30 days from the time my employer reports my termination.

Any info would help.

Thanks!

"Only" 30 days to travel? That's more than the vast majority of humanity could daydream ever affording.

Nothing human is foreign to me. A lot of you gobshites are aggravating, however.

Yes, I agree. But did you get to keep your residence permit after you left your company? I just wondering because along with traveling I wanted to try to keep my residence permit to do some freelance work while studying Chinese?

Jmunny

I've heard of people staying out their Z visa in some cases where their employment contract and residence permit validity did not overlap. Don't know if that's true in the now or not. As you were terminated, I'd be concerned. The way a lot of people around here handle it is to publish 200 page manifestos that read like jibberish on how corrupt their company was, but if you'd prefer to take a vacation that probably makes more sense. Have you asked them for a release letter? If they refuse, at least report it.

Hope you get someone weighing in that actually in the know, but it'll probably be a slew of agents offering you advice and services entirely built around extracting your money from you.

U.S.A.: We got the nukes!

New PsioncyCast!

Your company has the right to cancel your residence permit along with your work permit when you leave. The company is legally responsible for anything bad you might do in China while you are living here on the RP they sponsored, so if they know their rights, and your relationship with them is not that great, they will probably get the RP revoked immediately to save themselves any potential trouble. In this case, you will be given a zero-entry, 30-day L-visa, which you can use to travel for a bit and then leave the country.

BUT, if your relationship with them is good (yes, this can happen in China) and they trust you, or if they simply don't know the procedures very well, then you can in theory keep your RP until it either runs out or you get a new work permit and transfer the RP over to a new employer (make sure you get the application for the new RP in before the old RP expires).

If you manage this, and intend to do freelance work and study after leaving your old employer, my understanding is that this is not technically legal, but if you keep a low profile while doing it, it's probably not breaking enough laws that anyone really cares. At least for now, the various government agencies that you have to deal with don't talk much to each other, so, for example, you can still pay your taxes (sometimes necessary because your clients may ask for fapiao, i.e. tax invoices) without showing you have a valid work permit, and I am sure some foreigners do this.

However, the visa laws changed recently and China is also close to building a national, web-based work permit application system, which may make things easier or harder (depending on how you look at it) to transfer between employers and take advantage of legal loopholes. No one can guarantee any outcome for you, but if you maintain good relationships with the right people and can demonstrate you have skills and experience that are actually needed here, you can probably find a way to stay regardless of what the exact wording of the law is.

Thanks for your advice.

Jmunny

Hi All,

I think that I am in the same situation and I really appreciate if you can give me some ideas about my situation. I am going to quit my job and my company is going to cancel my working permit at the moment. However, I still have a valid residence permit until March 2017. Can I stay or travel in China until March 2017 without changing my Z visa into L visa ?

Also, does my company need the information of my passport and residence permit in order for them to cancel my work permit ? I saw from some of the forums that we should not give our original passport to them because they also can cancel our Residence Permit ?

Looking forward to hearing from all of you.

Thanks!

Hi,

If your company is determined to cancel your work and residence permits as soon as you leave, there isn't much you can do, I'm afraid. I'd suggest having a polite word with your employer and asking if they can wait until after Chinese New Year to cancel the permit. That way, you can still stay until March, when your residence permit will expire anyway.

If they say no, it might not be personal. I think there are limits as to how many foreigners a Chinese company can employ at any one time, so if they need another foreigner to replace you in your role as quickly as possible, they may need to terminate your employment first. You can always ask nicely and see, though.

Hi Taibende,

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it!

I also need them to cancel my working permit since I already got a new job in Shanghai. As I know, I need to get and bring the red paper after my current company cancel my work permit and bring this red paper to a new company in Shanghai to apply a new working permit. I think the process of cancelling the working permit will finish on 25 Jan and I will be in Shanghai on 6 February. Is this fine and am I legal to stay or travel around China when I don't have a working permit anymore? My new company will start to do a new working permit for me when I arrive in Shanghai, however this will be the first time for that company to hire foreigner so that they are not expert enough about this. In the worst scenario, I just worry if they could not make this, I would just stay until the end of March 2017 and back home. Is that fine ? Let me know! Thanks!

BR,

Handy

Hi Handy,

If your new company has no experience with hiring foreigners, I would STRONGLY recommend getting a competent visa agent to handle the process for you. It may cost a few thousand RMB (shouldn't be more than 5000, I think), but it's well worth it. If the paperwork isn't done correctly, you could easily get rejected and then have to go home to sort out a new visa, which will cost far more than the agents' fees (plus it's a complete waste of time and you won't get paid while you are waiting).

For example, you can get in touch with http://www.visainchina.com/visa3.htm (this isn't an advertisement; I phoned them once and asked for advice, and they were helpful).

I've never transferred work / residence permits to a different city, but I think it should be OK as long as you submit the application for your new work permit within 30 days of leaving your company in Beijing. If your old and new companies are in the same industry (e.g. education, technology, media, etc) and your job title isn't changing, then the application is much more likely to succeed. If you are switching industries or job titles, you may need to go home and start the application from scratch, but a visa agent can advise on this. Also, make sure your new company is set up to contribute to your social insurance (pension, etc), as this is now a requirement for foreigners working in China. Without the necessary social security documents, they won't be able to get you the work permit.

Hi Taibende,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The information is very useful. I would consider and suggest it to them!

Many thanks and have a nice day!

Hello, I have a similiar situation. I have been terminated, not on good terms, so my company will definitely report me, etc. My work visa (residence permit) is still good for another 3 months. My company is trying to get me attend the residence permit de-regristation meeting. Can I just blow them off and continue to stay in china for the remainder of my visa. I plan to leave china permanently, not come back (perhaps for holiday though in the future); hence I have no ambition to continue to stay and work in China. Your thoughts.

Ausweiss wrote:

Hello, I have a similiar situation. I have been terminated, not on good terms, so my company will definitely report me, etc. My work visa (residence permit) is still good for another 3 months. My company is trying to get me attend the residence permit de-regristation meeting. Can I just blow them off and continue to stay in china for the remainder of my visa. I plan to leave china permanently, not come back (perhaps for holiday though in the future); hence I have no ambition to continue to stay and work in China. Your thoughts.

A deregistration meeting? I've never heard of that. Do you have the permit or do they? If you have it, you might be able to chance staying. The authorities are not known for speed.

Life gives only the choice of victory or defeat. It does not grant the luxury of war or peace."---Oswald Spengler

I guess your company has already cancelled your work permit and wants you to go with them to the PSB Exit/Entry Bureau near the Lama Temple to get the residence permit in your passport cancelled as well. If you were to do this, you usually get (I think) a 30-day zero-entry L-visa issued by the PSB that gives you that amount of time to leave the country.

If you choose not to comply, the company is perfectly entitled to report you to the police. Whether they do that or not depends on them. Since you say your relationship with them is not good, it's up to you whether you want to take that risk or not.