Logged Users (last hour): 74
Registered Users: 227,140

Lincoln wanted to send the slaves back to Africa

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
RemmyM's picture

Have been watching Ken Burns' PBS documentary on the Civil War for the last few days. Very interesting.

I never knew that- before he supported emancipation- Lincoln's original idea was to send the slaves who'd escaped to the north back to Africa.

Gives new meaning to: "If you don't like it, why don't you go back home?"

wave's picture

Was he wanting to do it with everyone, or just those who wanted to go?

RemmyM's picture
wave wrote:
Was he wanting to do it with everyone, or just those who wanted to go?

Everyone I guess.

Slave: But... but... I was born here!

Lincoln: Back to Africa with you! *kick*

otto's picture

dandy idea.

just look at Liberia, a smashing success

wave's picture

That would have been messy. What about all the mixed race kids by that stage?
I bet he had a really shitty ship lined up for the job too.

Guest's picture
RemmyM wrote:
Have been watching Ken Burns' PBS documentary on the Civil War for the last few days. Very interesting.

I never knew that- before he supported emancipation- Lincoln's original idea was to send the slaves who'd escaped to the north back to Africa.

Is it too late? I'm sure quite a few would support it starting with Obama. It might cut the welfare expenditure significantly as well.
pnkearns's picture

You have to remember that Lincoln and the free the slaves movement did not believe the races were equal. No nation in the world did. It was a new concept in the world when the Brits and U.S. banned slavery.

Many believed the races would never mix and live together. The Liberia solution was to send freed U.S. Blacks back to Africa so they could run their own country.

I give them credit for trying to change society in a positive manner. The easy thing would have been to just let Blacks continue in slavery.

nike air jordan's picture

Lincoln did not want them to remain in the USA. He was met with enormous opposition from other abolitionists and so he recanted. This surprised me because I had no idea that he thought like this.
curt
nike air jordan

justace's picture

the reason for the opposition .

the loss of a cheap labor force.

Although free, some were worse off. They had to feed,house, and get their own med and dental plan on minimum pay(wage).

Most stayed on the farms the plantations they were free from.

Same benefit for the farmers.

Hey what about the indentured servants. did they get free also?

XuDuo777's picture

This is one of those times when I'm just flat-out scared to be here.

Who are you people?

:&

Blauauaugh!

waitaitai's picture

A you mentioned indentured servants, I sometimes think that set up is similar to what happens to some English teachers here. Especially in the novella posted the other day.

They pay a broker, the broker sells them out to an institution that is supposed to pay them, house them and feed them.
The pay is then docked for sky high electricity, or they have to pay for their own visas. Some try to live on an advance from the school or broker until their first salary, then find theat after paying back the advance and deductions the salary isn't enough to live on and have to ask for an advance again... Shady ESL businesses...modern day indentured servitude in China.

justace's picture
waitaitai wrote:
A you mentioned indentured servants, I sometimes think that set up is similar to what happens to some English teachers here. Especially in the novella posted the other day.

They pay a broker, the broker sells them out to an institution that is supposed to pay them, house them and feed them.
The pay is then docked for sky high electricity, or they have to pay for their own visas. Some try to live on an advance from the school or broker until their first salary, then find theat after paying back the advance and deductions the salary isn't enough to live on and have to ask for an advance again... Shady ESL businesses...modern day indentured servitude in China.

from what I have read it seems to be a common thing here . It would change if the teachers had some money to back themselves and just quit.

The U.S. embassy used to give you a ticket home if you sign a promissory note. I dont know about now.

shady business . I think so.

xenophon's picture

Lincoln was hardly alone. A number of Abolitionists had the same notion, among them Harriet Beecher Stowe of "Uncle Tom's Cabin" fame. The logistics were, of course, unworkable. Too many ships at too great a cost for an idea that would not turn a profit. (Back then deficits incurred for social engineering and experimentation were not business as usual.) From time to time, alternative media sources come out expressing shock and outrage at Lincoln on this score. About as sincere as griping about bear shit in the woods. Given the continuing state of sorry race relations in the States, allow Lincoln credit for trying to address a huge problem. Personally, I think miscegenation is the only way to go (despite the warnings of the eugenics crowd.)

iztel's picture
kiwuk wrote:
RemmyM wrote:

Is it too late? I'm sure quite a few would support it starting with Obama. It might cut the welfare expenditure significantly as well.

It would be kind of interesting to see how many "white devil" type black people would accept a passport from the African country of their choice in exchange for their US citizenship.

pnkearns's picture
iztel wrote:

It would be kind of interesting to see how many "white devil" type black people would accept a passport from the African country of their choice in exchange for their US citizenship.

Nothing stops anyone from leaving the U.S. and giving up their citizenship. It couldn't be the African countries don't want them, could it?
walls's picture
pnkearns wrote:
iztel wrote:

Nothing stops anyone from leaving the U.S. and giving up their citizenship. It couldn't be the African countries don't want them, could it?

Wow! Even blacks don't want blacks. Who'da thought? Even Jews want other Jews. But the truth is US blacks would never want to return to their 'motherland'.

zhenlai's picture
walls wrote:
pnkearns wrote:
iztel wrote:

Wow! Even blacks don't want blacks. Who'da thought? Even Jews want other Jews. But the truth is US blacks would never want to return to their 'motherland'.

The land of their heritage.

walls's picture
zhenlai wrote:
walls wrote:
pnkearns wrote:
iztel wrote:

The land of their heritage.

Excuse me, but I said "motherland" for our Chinese readers! They like this word a lot.

Socqtes's picture

Don't believe the hype about Blacks ad welfare my friends. We all know that men lie, women lie, but numbers don't lie. The Black welfare queen is a huge Fallacy and a American colloquialism, propagated by news media and Hollywood.

The truth is, of the 46 million people living in poverty in America in 2010, the U.S. census revealed that 31 million were white. Ten million were black. Of the 49 million people without health insurance coverage, 37 million were white; 8 million were African American. The face of poverty in America is overwhelmingly white. Face it, White Americans, poor and middle-class alike, receive the vast majority of tax-funded government assistance programs, from monthly assistance to Social Security to food stamps.

http://www.theroot.com/views/food-stamp-fallacy

jas5sk's picture

Man, this forum can't go 1 week without a thread about the'blacks' Lol

WTF! THIS IS A FORUM ABOUT CHINA!

zhenlai's picture

He also wanted to send all the sheep back to New Zealand. Well we see how that turned out.

zhenlai's picture
jas5sk wrote:

It just shows you the undying respect the world has for black people and the gratitude of an entire for our existence.

atomicneon2's picture
Socqtes wrote:
Don't believe the hype about Blacks ad welfare my friends. We all know that men lie, women lie, but numbers don't lie. The Black welfare queen is a huge Fallacy and a American colloquialism, propagated by news media and Hollywood.

The truth is, of the 46 million people living in poverty in America in 2010, the U.S. census revealed that 31 million were white. Ten million were black. Of the 49 million people without health insurance coverage, 37 million were white; 8 million were African American. The face of poverty in America is overwhelmingly white. Face it, White Americans, poor and middle-class alike, receive the vast majority of tax-funded government assistance programs, from monthly assistance to Social Security to food stamps.

Look a little harder. Ya, I've also read that there are more
whites on welfare, but the percentage of blacks on welfare is 57.

Sciency's picture

Send the blacks back to apefrica.

And the whites back to u-r-a-peon.

Before I throw my tomahawk

Up your ass! U racist pricks.

Ching chong ching chong.

U rika Michaer Schrofiear ova "Plison Blake"?

GDM Jews!

Everyone is the same color.

THE END.

aroma_sky's picture

Back back. >:)

dan4's picture
Sciency wrote:
Send the blacks back to apefrica.

And the whites back to u-r-a-peon.

Before I throw my tomahawk

Up your ass! U racist pricks.

Ching chong ching chong.

U rika Michaer Schrofiear ova "Plison Blake"?

GDM Jews!

Everyone is the same color.

THE END.

Wow Sciency hit the tequila soon today...I guess the early bird really does catch the worm...:)

walls's picture
jas5sk wrote:

It seems to be an obsession with you! Biggrin

walls's picture

Didn't Liberia come about due to some help from Lincoln?

jas5sk's picture
atomicneon2 wrote:
Socqtes wrote:

but the percentage of blacks on welfare is 57.

This is wrong.

That is all.

atomicneon2's picture

black people collect 33% of public aid dollars while they make up only 12% of the American population.

"Google" is an internet search engine that provides lots of information from various sources. It can be access by typing
the word "GOOGLE" into your computer's browser bar. ( a white
rectangle shaped box, usually located on the top right corner of your computer screen).

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1077/is_n2_v48/ai_12970819/

jas5sk's picture

You wrote 57%.

Pages