BEWARE CHINAESL--SCAM ALERT, Rebecca Tang will rip you off!

138 posts / 0 new
Last post

Teacher learns a lesson: The trafficking of foreign ESL teachers in China
K.T. Cox
It was not until Christmas that I fully realized I was one of many foreign teachers being scammed in Beijing, China. A dream of going to China with the pure intentions of teaching English while exploring another culture has turned into an expensive nightmare.

Prior to coming to China I was promised 5000RMB [or US$800 (RMB is Chinese currency) each month at an ESL school, a visa, a free apartment, and airfare to get home through an agency called ChinaESL, organized by Rebecca Tang. If you Google search her agency, you will find there is nothing negative being said about this company. She has links to Dave’s ESL cafe (one of the most popular foreign teacher employment websites worldwide) and I talked to plenty of people who have done ESL teaching in China and loved it. With all the information I could find at that time, I made my decision to head to China, a dream of mine since I was young. Upon arrival in China I was forced to sign an additional contract by Rebecca Tang, who said she needed to remove 2000RMB [US$320] from the first three paychecks as a deposit. This left me to survive on 3000RMB [US$480] each month, then after I would receive my promised salary of 5000RMB. There were several other cited stipulations in the contract, such as "If Party B shows the contract to anyone, Party A has the right to cancel Party B’s visa, put her on the blacklist, and charge 20,000RMB [US$3,200]." There were many other clauses that included seemingly ridiculous fees, but she told me if I didn’t sign the contract I’d have to pay 20,000RMB as a penalty. Since I didn’t know anyone in China, had no place to live (as this meeting took place in Tang’s home), and could barely speak the language, I felt I had no choice but to sign it—though I knew something didn’t feel right.

While much of my China adventure has been a wonderful experience—learning a new language, visiting the Great Wall and ancient temples, working with brilliant students, and falling in love with a brilliant British poet from Cardiff—I tried to hide the fact that I’ve been struggling financially. Every email and blog post featured only the highlights and positive aspects of my time here to comfort the worried concerns of friends and family back home in Olympia, Washington.

I cannot share how I came about the truth as a means to respect privacy, but Tang has been doing the same thing to many other people. At Web International English where I worked, over 60% of the foreign teachers are employed through Rebecca through out all the Web Centers in Beijing. Rebecca also has connections to kindergartens and middle schools, and is screwing over everyone a little differently. In my case, the school I was working at was paying me 15,800RMB and Tang was leaving me with only 3000RMB, keeping the rest for herself. After talking to the police, the Public Services bureau, the US embassy, and Web Headquarters, I found there is absolutely nothing that can be done. I sat in an interrogation room on three separate occasions--one for 2 hours, one for 4 hours and one for almost 6 while my boss was helping me to translate what the police were saying. The school is being fined and I (was) going to be fined, even though I provided evidence that it was Rebecca’s fault for bringing me over here illegally, insisting that I needed an F visa.

They also wrote the transcripts by hand rather than filming the conversation or voice recording it, and they forced me to sign the transcripts even though they did not accurately represent what was said in the interrogation. Rebecca Tang has connections to the head of police and she has a close relationship with the head of the Entry/Exit department of the Public Services Bureau; she knew specific details about the interrogation that nobody else could have known unless someone was acting as a spy for her. I know this sounds frightening, but its absolutely true. She even knew what day I was leaving the country, and her assistant and my landlord barged in to my apartment demanding that I paid bills for the entire time I was there. Also, the morning I was preparing to leave, she had someone pose as a police officer to harass me and insist that I give my flight information. I knew better of course, and told them to f*** off. Her assistant even showed up to take pictures of my now empty room so they can lease it to someone else—I hope that person is not you.

The only chance I could stand at fighting her would be to take her to court, but I’d have to hire a lawyer, which I could not afford. No matter what, the system is set up so foreign teachers will lose even though several China Labor Laws are being broken.
Rebecca Tang has been running this scam for 8 years and will continue to do it to unsuspecting foreigners. In addition to her connections to the police and the PSB, she also has connections to the government; nobody can stop her. The only way we can prevent this from happening is to tell stories like these, and I sincerely hope you will pass this around.

I’ve spent the past 2 weeks saying good-bye to my friends, my students, my colleagues and my boyfriend who I’m still in love with. Additionally, Rebecca kept my last paycheck that was supposed to be paid on Jan. 25; every cent. I’m completely broke.
This has been the most emotionally draining experience I’ve had in my short life. And I can suspect people will say as they read this; "you should have taken more precautions," "done more research on the company," "not have signed the contract," or "there are people that are poor and have nothing, you shouldn’t complain." I can name more things about the better choices I "should" have made, and maybe my problem is relatively small to what others have suffered, but that does not justify the fact that this agent conned me and countless others into signing a contract that resulted in her stealing thousands while breaking Chinese labor laws. We were brought here to work illegally and we are traded like cattle. Many teachers working here cannot find decent paying jobs elsewhere, came here for a chance to teach and offer a service to people who want to improve their English. If you are a newly graduated young female in her early twenties traveling alone and trying to pay off debts from student loans and assorted bills, maybe you’d understand the full effect of this. And hopefully learn from it. See: tips on agent scams. Nobody deserves to be victimized or mistreated or taken advantage of. Period.

Now I won’t deny that the American justice system is far from perfect, and this story does not glorify any "fair" decisions the United States has made—as murderers and child molesters can get off on technicalities, and big corporate powers will pay fees that amount to a light slap on the wrist in the big scheme of their evil doings—but rather how easy it is for a foreigner to be victimized abroad. Additionally this story does not presume to characterize the general population of Chinese people. In fact, I received overwhelming support from my students, my friends, my boss and even had officials from three different schools offer to help me get the proper visa to be employed legally and offer a better wage. If I weren’t under the thumb of this wicked agent--who was controlling my bank account, my apartment, and had connections to powerful people who could potentially give me even more trouble--I would have been happy to accept. The fact is, I needed to be home with my friends and family to recover from what happened. I will return to China someday, but on my own terms and with much more awareness.

So, I approached my final days in Beijing simply knowing in my heart that I was right and that nothing could break my spirit...and then the impossible happened: I was invited to come to the police station once more to assess the fines for my offense of working here illegally under Tang’s supervision. The police apparently felt sorry for me and think this situation is unfair. They disapprove of Tang’s relationship with their boss, so they have devised a plan for me to escape: they submitted a request to reduce my fine in order to delay my paperwork process so I could leave the country without paying, as I’ve provided sufficient evidence that this offense was not my fault and due to Tang’s manipulation. They also said they would ensure my safety at the airport, and their boss would have to let my case go. I was in complete shock. Apparently this sort of thing never happens; to foreigners, to Chinese citizens, to people that are poor and powerless, to people that fought the system without proper legal defense. I have no idea why I was lucky, or why this ending turned out the way it did. It was a small victory compared to the grand scheme of ChinaESL’s evil doings, but any victory is worth celebrating.

Now, this is a rare victory. The truth is no matter where you go in the world, a stupid piece of paper can rip apart people that love each other, can disenchant your dream of making the world a better place and (in cases far worse than mine) consume everything you have—everything but one—to quote my beloved: "If you know in your heart that you are right, nothing can touch you." Best wishes to anyone who aspires the same dream. May this story be helpful and eye-opening.

Tips for avoiding overseas teaching scams and teacher trafficking: 1.) Do research at the countries embassy about decent living wages.2.) Have a lawyer review your contract to ensure it is in accordance with the country labor laws.3.) Make connections with citizens within the country before you go; ask if they’ve heard reviews on the business. You won’t always find bad reviews on companies just by internet research. Signs of bad agents:

1. They ask for money up front.
2. They use post office boxes, instead of office addresses.
3. They make promises of employment and guarantees of refunds.
4. They charge fees for giving you a job lead.
5. They pressure you and encourage you to make a decision too quickly.
6. They make you pay for your own visa and flight and don’t compensate you; a good business will offer that because you are doing them a service. Helpful cites to review if you want to teach in China: ChinaForeignTeachersUnion.org

A deposit? A deposit for what? I worked for her long ago and never had to pay a deposit. Maybe she has changed her ways. I can only say you could have saved a lot of your time by just writing one thing, NEVER PAY SOMEONE TO WORK! They are supposed to pay you, not the other way around. Any job that asks you to pay them should be a HUGE red flag. Never ever ever ever pay an employer. They pay you. Once she said she would take 2000 of your salary for herself you should have walked away, not accept that.

I will tell you how the agent business works. They have schools that need teachers, they find teachers, send them to the schools. The schools pay the agents, then the agent keeps some of that money and then pays you the rest. I have heard stories about agents asking for deposits before but I thought it was just rumors. I mean who would pay someone to work? That seems so crazy.

Well, like I said, I worked for ChinaESL long ago and they of course took some of my pay (thats is what agents do) but never asked me to pay them! There are always two sides to every story so we will see what they say in their defense. I would say if you are a bad teacher or lazy or whatever then you had it coming but you said she charged you and took your money before you even started so can not use that excuse. That is not right. Hope it is not true.

This was my first time working abroad, I had no idea these sort of scams even existed. Yes, looking back now I would walk away. The reason I signed the contract is because I had just gotten to China like 2 days prior, could not speak the language, was travelling alone, and she said if I didnt sign it I"d have to pay her money and I wouldn't have a place to go. I know there are people on here that said they've had good experiences with her--believe me, I started researching and asking questions, and I'm pretty sure I've read your defenses chaofan--but every word of this is true. if you send me your email in a private message I will scan a copy of my contract and send it to you, you can see for yourself. I have other friends that have the same type of contract with Rebecca. I have no doubt she will lie and try to defend herself because she's a sociopath. And for the record, I'm an excellent teacher. I received 93% positive feedback from my recent evaluations from Web International English and I had 3 different schools offer me money to stay because they were so impressed with me. Regardless of these factors, nobody deserves to be scammed like this. This is wrong, and its going to keep happening if people don't listen. I wasn't able to win this fight, but I'm going to blast on her on the internet and warn others so this doesn't keep happening (as often).

Number of people Bruce Gorcyca is fooling: 1 (only himself)

katherinecox1987 wrote:
This was my first time working abroad, I had no idea these sort of scams even existed. Yes, looking back now I would walk away. The reason I signed the contract is because I had just gotten to China like 2 days prior, could not speak the language, was travelling alone, and she said if I didnt sign it I"d have to pay her money and I wouldn't have a place to go. I know there are people on here that said they've had good experiences with her--believe me, I started researching and asking questions, and I'm pretty sure I've read your defenses chaofan--but every word of this is true. if you send me your email in a private message I will scan a copy of my contract and send it to you, you can see for yourself. I have other friends that have the same type of contract with Rebecca. I have no doubt she will lie and try to defend herself because she's a sociopath. And for the record, I'm an excellent teacher. I received 93% positive feedback from my recent evaluations from Web International English and I had 3 different schools offer me money to stay because they were so impressed with me. Regardless of these factors, nobody deserves to be scammed like this. This is wrong, and its going to keep happening if people don't listen. I wasn't able to win this fight, but I'm going to blast on her on the internet and warn others so this doesn't keep happening (as often).

Well, it is good warn others if you were really taken advantage of but I think the better warning to tell all people coming here to work is to come prepared. Do not come here with no money, you are asking for trouble. Make sure you have enough for some food, a hotel room for a day or two and of course a return plane ticket if you get screwed in the first few days after arriving.

You said she told you she would charge you money if you did not sign the contract?? Really? Why would she say that? What could she do if you did not sign it? So strange, she is not going to beat you. If you sign it or not it is all your choice. I have never heard of some company threatening you that if you do not sign the contract you have to pay a fine! That is crazy, they only rip you off after you sign the contract. Anyway, not knowing the language is not an excuse either, they speak perfect English there so you should have understood everything that was told to you. In the end you were free to walk away, sign nothing and pay nothing. I guess after coming from so far away to get here you were going to believe anything told to you. Not picking on you, just saying next time do more research, online is not always enough. There are a ton of schools here in Beijing begging for a decent foreign teacher, you would have been fine if you just checked around and had enough money to live on while you looked for a better situation.

One more thing I want to clear up for you and others who might have read your original post. Agents are here to make money like anyone else. They do not have powerful contacts in the police or government. Do not be afraid of that, they can not arrest you, fine you, or turn you in. Some may have special contacts that help them get visas for teachers but they pay for that relationship which of course is passed onto you the teacher. They are not the law or government here, that is silly.

Again, read the title: Teacher Taught a Lesson. Yes, absolutely I shouldn't of signed it. Believe me, I've thought about that plenty of times; I wish I had the courage to stand up and walk out before, but I didn't. Its hard to say would you "would do" in hinde site because you weren't there, and I'm done listening to those unhelpful judgements. I did think it was kind of messed up, but I thought "well, this woman was referred to me by a Chinese teacher in the States, I should be okay..." and I did do some research online, and at the time I could not find any negative things being said about the company. I've told this Chinese teacher since, and she apologized and promised to stop referring her agency to others. Like me, she had no idea. She just found her link on a quick search on the first page of results. Had I heard of the Beijinger before and read the previous statements made by other victims, I would have stayed away, trust me.

Just to clarify, I meant I didn't know any Chinese and the thought of trying to find an apartment by myself and find a new job when I didn't know where to look and had just enough money in my US account to get started after I had JUST arrived in China--that didn't seem like a possiblity at the time. I was freaked out and nervous and had already spend a lot of time and money preparing for this adventure. And of course she spoke English to me. But did you know that the invitation letter that was sent to me--in Chinese--was actually to work at a different company? I just found that out in January, I had no idea it was also a fradulent letter.

Secondly, I was really scammed. Ohter people are really being scammed. Chaofan, I've read some of your other comments and defenses in Rebecca's name, and you are not helping the situation. I think you are either a.) getting paid by her, b.) you are actually rebecca under a different profile and name, c.) you are naive and condesending. Or all of the above. I'm glad you had a good experience, I suppose, but that doesn't change what is happening now. Rebecca is clever, of course she is not going to screw everyone over. She needs people like you to testify to how great she is so she can keep her business going. I personally know 4 other people that are being scammed currently or recently by Rebecca, and that is not including one of her former assistants that said she left because she "doesn't trust Rebecca, she only cares about money." And if I'm lying, why is the CFTU saying that they have a long standing record with her being accused "23 times of fraud and 7 times of extortion." Why are they asking the Minister of Justice and Education to revoke her license? BECAUSE THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING, TO SEVERAL OTHER PEOPLE. Obviously other people were "ignorant enough" to fall for her threats too. I"m not the only one, and as long as you defend her crooked business, its going to keep happening. There are plenty of young people who come to China just like me--alone, don't know Chinese, nervous and excited, first time teaching abroad--they don't know how this works. And she knows that. You don't know what the "right questions" to ask, you don't know this isn't how business is normally done, etc. As I stated before, NOBODY deserves what they get in a situation like this. Period.
Call the web headquarters at Web International English and ask for the Human Resources Director, Vanessa and the head manager, Jack. Also, talk to my boss Cherry at the Sanyuanqiao center. And call this police officer: 13911832627, badge number 013073, Officer Wu. These people will all confirm my claims (if she hasn't already threatened them too): Rebecca has connections to the government, she IS very powerful, she also has connections to the police and the head of the Entry/Exit department of the Public Services Bureau. Believe me, I've been doing my homeworks since I've been here. Maybe you should do yours, seeing that you still endorse her agency despite several people speaking out against her.

Lastly, other than the deposit, she did not tell me how much money I was actually making and how much she was keeping. Web was paying 15,800rmb to her thinking I was getting a significant portion. I didn't find this out until December. Web made the mistake of signing a contract with Rebecca even though she refused to show them the contracts she had with the teachers, and because of that its going to effect how they will do business from now on. I was only getting 3000rmb as a fulltime teacher, and that is completely unreasonable. If she had been more upfront and honest about how much she was making off me, then I could have made a more informed decision. Honestly, I would have been willing to negotiate a percentage with an agent if I felt I was being treated fairly. I understand people need to make money, but they should do it fairly. She even kept my last paycheck, so now I'm broke. I never told her I was leaving the country--she found out, among other specific details about my interrogations--because someone in the police was spying on me for her and giving her tips. She even had someone pose as a police officer and try to get me to provide my flight information the morning I was leaving, which I was smart enough to decline answering. She pulls crap like that to try and scare people. Its wrong, you cannot deny that.

ALL of these claims are true. They are not silly. Let's not shoot the victim here.

Come on, a little dramatic don't you think? I am not trying to blame you or waste others time, I have a lot of experience in this area and I am just offering advice to others so that it does not happen to them. I am very sorry what happened to you. I do not endorse anyone on here, only stated my past experience which was over 4 years ago by the way. I can assure I am not her or being paid by her. You are being silly now, look at my history, I have been here for years and only a few time talked about her or ChinaESL in my thousands of posts! Like I said if what you said is true I agree with you that you were wronged. Just telling others do not come to China broke and with only one option. surely you would agree that is not a very good plan right?

I know we are not all rich but if you do not have a back up plan I would tell others do not come here. I had some money in my pocket when I arrived, I spoke basic Chinese and knew people in Beijing. I guess people these days think flocking to China is an easy way out or some fun adventure. Remember this is a far away place with a very different language and culture. If you are not prepared it will eat you up and spit you out broke and beaten.

Again, this is not directed at you only, I am telling others who read about your lesson learned and are thinking about coming to China to be prepared. Thats all, don't take it so personally.

You are new here yet you talk like you are a secret detective here in China. She DOES NOT have connections with the head of the Exit Entry department, might know someone who works there and paid for some visa help but that is it. And this person does not run the police in Beijing as you make it sound. I understand you are upset, you got screwed and are believing too many crazy stories you have heard.

I wish you the best of luck and tell you to keep telling your story, I am an American and would not want this type of thing to happen to other fellow Americans.

China is not the land of easy money, nothing is easy or free in this country. A warning to all others thinking about coming do your homework! Be prepared, do not come here alone or come here to meet only one person, make sure you have some friends who can speak Chinese and help you. Bring money, and of course do not sign anything that you do not agree with.

I am not being dramatic, I'm not acting like a secret detective, I'm stating the truth about what happened to me. She knew specific things about my interrogations that she couldn't of known unless one of the officers was spying for her. The cops themselves told the HR director at Web that she had a close relationship with the head of the Entry/Exit Department. Both the head staff at Web and previous employees of Rebecca have cautioned the need to be careful because of her connections to the government. As stated previously, you can contact any of those people and ask them, and they will confirm my "silly" claims. You say you are not making fun, but you are basically accusing me of embellishing this. According to the CFTU my story is consistent with several other reports about her behavior. I'm sorry I cannot convince you otherwise--you were not here with me, you did not see what I went through, you don't know anything about me other than that I deserved what I got. Yes, I've learned several lessons from this experience, but it doesn't mean I deserved it. She knew what she was doing, and I didn't until it was too late. Your posts to others related to ChinaESL have been belittling and I don't trust your intentions to "help" people--you have made it worse by supporting Rebecca or trying to convincing foreigners it was their fault. Lastly, I also came to China because I wanted to experience their culture and learn the language. Of course I respect it, I had wanted to come here since I was kid. This was a dream to me and she took advantage of my young age, my lack of experience and assumed that I was a rich Westerner. I've met plenty of other people coming here because they cannot find a good paying job in the states or else where. Nothing prepares you completely for going to another country and that's why I'm writing about this; because according to you I should have known better, and apparently 60% of the foreign teacher community should have too. Please don't reply anymore, you are not helpful, and you are not understanding.

Sorry, I have been here for over four years, I do get it, I understand, you do not. I am on your side but you are too stupid to see it. I give up, you are an idiot. You deserved all that you got. Nobody in the US dreams of coming to China one day as a child, you are a liar, you are fake, now it is all very clear. You are obviously a fake. If not a fake you are a very stupid person who signed a contract then later when you decided you did not like you chose to drag others down with you.

Anyway, hope you all ignore this idiot. Anyone planning on coming to China to teach English feel free to contact me and ask me questions, I am more than happy to help you if I can. I have many years experience here and did the agent thing for awhile and now I am on my own. Of course it is best to do it without an agent so prepare before you come. Learn from this stupid person who did nothing, you just did a few mouse clicks and called it good. I would also say stay away from agents if you can. Best to do it on your own or have someone you know help you. There are thousands of Chinese students in American universities. Become friends with some, talk to them. I had many great friends from China when I was in college and their support and friendship was and is invaluable. Contacts make the world go around.

I tried to tell this person what they did wrong and what they should do in the future yet she just wants to ignore me and my advice. If you want to end up like her go ahead and come here with no money, no friends, no Chinese ability, and no clue. You will end up just like her.

Sorry Kat, your post was simply too long to read in full. But to summarize;

You said she took 2000 RMB off your first 3 payments. Did you get the full salary the contract said you would, after that?

Were those 3 'deposits' returned to you when you left?

If it's yes to both, in what way were you scammed, exactly? If she paid you what she said she would, and you got what the contract said you would, how is that a scam?

You say that the school was paying Rebecca 15k a month. How do you know that, they told you? And you believe them?

You say you had trouble with cops, because you were working on a F visa, but you blame Rebecca for that. In this modern era, with such easy access to information, how can you possibly excuse yourself from not knowing what is necessary to work legally here? And why you place no blame on any of this on the actual school you were working for?

You also say that she kept your last payment, due Jan 25th. Did she say why?

I'm not saying that you are lying, but ChinaESL deals with literally thousands of foreigners every year. Any company that deals with that many clients is going to get a number of unhappy customers. But seeing as how few ever seem to complain on here, they seem to be doing better than the 'evil' company you say they are.

The fact that you even accuse her defender as being on her payroll, of even being her under another name, seems to say a lot more about you than it does about her, to be honest.

In any case, as always with these kind of situations, I expect that ChinaESL will be on the board tomorrow morning, and will give their side of the story. I look forward to seeing what they have to say.

I just took a look through www.chinaforeignteachersunion.org. Wow.

What an amateur bunch of wannabes. Ok, I understand their reasoning behind the idea of having such a low scale website, but how do they explain it being so lacking in any real info? All they do is link to threads containing attacks on school sand agents in China, and feel those threads and accusations warrant being on their 'black list'.

They say schools they accuse have the right to defend themselves, but where is the place to write those comebacks? Do they email and contact schools and agents that have been black listed on their site?

And in several of the threads that they link to regards ChinaESL, ChinaESL have explained themselves in the thread, but are still on these peoples black list. How does that work exactly?

And what of the 'contributors'? So they post any claim about a school, before it has been independently verified? Why doesn't ChinaESL, or any other school or agent on that list, start a foreigner blacklist, and make wild claims about the 'evil and unscrupulous' laowai that have worked for them? No, there would be an outcry, and privacy and human rights. But these people post anonymously, with their accusations and claims, but god forbid anyone did they same to them.

Maybe it's late and I'm missing something, but where exactly does it say who runs this blacklisting website? I see it says volunteers, and they have a 'board'. but what does that mean except that they are a couple of disgruntled ex-teachers who took it upon themselves to set the industry right, even at they expense of other businesses.

This is what happens when you play vigilante, and trust me, I know. When you try to remain anonymous, and there is no one to watch you, to make sure you stay balanced, it's easy to start leaning one way, to start seeing only one side of the story, to feel that you have to put things right, even if you never really understood what was wrong, no matter how good your intentions are to begin with.

But anyway, anyone reading that website needs to take it with a pinch of salt, and wonder who is behind the one way mirror.

Chaofan, I stand by this: NOBODY deserves to be treated this way, its wrong. I would appreciate your advice if it wasn't accompanied with your false accusations of me fabricating this information. That is why I'm frustrated. As I admitted, I should have done more research and I've learned a lot from this experience, but calling me stupid doesn't make you anymore credible. And lastly, I dreamed of coming to China to explore the culture, the language, the people, the history; just as I dream of going to Europe, to Africa, to South America, to many other places in the world. I want to travel and experience the places I've read about in books and learned about in history, I think its fascinating. How on earth does that make me fake?? It doesn't.

Answering Bumblebee's questions:
"You said she took 2000 RMB off your first 3 payments. Did you get the full salary the contract said you would, after that?" No, I did not. She found out about my interactions with the PSB and the police and they told her I was leaving the country, so she kept my last paycheck. I never received my full salary.

"Were those 3 'deposits' returned to you when you left?" No, they weren't. She kept all that money.

"If it's yes to both, in what way were you scammed, exactly? If she paid you what she said she would, and you got what the contract said you would, how is that a scam?" I was given a different contract before coming to China, and when I arrived in China she said I had to sign a second one which included the bit about the deposit. I didn't want to sign it and I wanted to negotiate and she said if I didn't sign it I would have to pay 20,000rmb. As I said, I didn't know anyone, I didn't know Chinese so I could ask for help, I didn't know about the Beijinger, I had some money but not enough...I didn't feel I had a choice but to sign the contract. Looking back, yes, I would make a different decision, but at that time with the lack of information I had, I didn't think of a better choice. That doens't mean I deserved it. She wasn't upfront and honest about that before I came to China and that wasn't fair. Secondly she didn't tell me how much of my original paycheck was taking. She was taking advantage of my situation, and she knew that. That is what makes it a scam.

"You say that the school was paying Rebecca 15k a month. How do you know that, they told you? And you believe them?" Yes, I believed my school--they told me they were paying Rebecca 15,800rmb per month, and they didn't know I was only being paid 3000rmb. And honestly, I am mad at the school; the HR director admitted to my boss that she signed the contract with Rebecca even though she refused to let her see the contracts she had with the teachers. They have learned a big lesson from this too: be careful who you do business with. And from now on, I'm going to be investigating that before getting involved with another school or business abroad; a good question for anyone to ask.

"You say you had trouble with cops, because you were working on a F visa, but you blame Rebecca for that. In this modern era, with such easy access to information, how can you possibly excuse yourself from not knowing what is necessary to work legally here? And why you place no blame on any of this on the actual school you were working for?" I blamed Rebecca because she knows the laws about visas and working in China and insisted that I get an F visa. Because she was my agent--referred to me by a Chinese teacher in the states--I trusted she was being honest and trying to help me. I did research about what F visas are for and it seemed to me that it was right one, and I read on several forums that most foreign teachers are on F or L visas, so with that information, I assumed what I was doing was right. Again, first time working abroad and obtaining a visa, learned a big lesson. And I later found out that Rebecca is well informed of this issue: http://www.thebjreviewer.com/teaching-in-china-news-and-announcements/2012/5/29/beijings-100-day-illegal-foreigner-crackdown-informative-interview-with-chinaesl. I was 24 (now 25) when I came to China, had teaching experience and a BA degree, and definitely qualified for a Z visa. By managing my F visa she was able to keep in control of me, and therefore my finances, and it furthered her ability to make money off me by "lending" me my own money to go to Hong Kong to get the visa and they pay herself back. If I had continued my contract with her for the full year, I would have been even more broke then before. Again, this factor makes her business a scam.

"You also say that she kept your last payment, due Jan 25th. Did she say why?" No, she did not say why. But I know that she knew I was leaving the country even though I never told her, because her assistant came to my apartment the morning I left saying "I know you are leaving, I'm coming over to collect the keys." And just two days prior my landlord barged into my apartment demanding I pay bills for the entire time I've been there; him and the assistant said "Rebecca knows you are leaving." The way she handled it was completely unprofessional and unfair. In a fair business, I would have been entitled to a portion of that money, but she kept all of it, even though I worked up until Jan. 18. One of her "close relationships" from the police or the PSB told her I reported her, so she kept the money to punish me.

"I'm not saying that you are lying, but ChinaESL deals with literally thousands of foreigners every year. Any company that deals with that many clients is going to get a number of unhappy customers." I have referred you to CFTU, where you can find other accounts of her behavior. There are other feeds on here with people being unhappy with her service, you need to spend more time looking. And, taking into account how much power she has and how many connections she has accumulated over the past 8 years of running this scam, I don't doubt people are afraid to mess with her. I was scared too, but despite that, I'm going to keep telling my story. More important than chaofan's assessment of my intellect, these kinds of stories need to be told so she will stop doing this. I don't raise h*** for no reason, I was wronged, and other people are being wronged.

"The fact that you even accuse her defender as being on her payroll, of even being her under another name, seems to say a lot more about you than it does about her, to be honest." That's fair. I apologize. But its frustrating to be called a liar and a fake. Especially when you are telling the truth.

"In any case, as always with these kind of situations, I expect that ChinaESL will be on the board tomorrow morning, and will give their side of the story. I look forward to seeing what they have to say." I don't. It will make me more angry. And she will just lie.

I also wanted to respond to this: I think you are right to question where your information comes from. Look at what happened to me: I just trusted Rebecca and I was screwed.

This site was created to give foreign teachers a voice because scams are so common and people can be taken advantage of so easily--people like myself feel very powerless in situations like these. I was turned away from the embassy, and the PSB didn't help me. I couldn't take her to court because I'm broke, and money makes the world go around. there is not enough warning out there to protect people getting scammed, and unless you are loaded, you can't afford to defend yourself. People in place to help can be bought out; its corruption. If you can't see that, you are in denial about how the world works.

I do agree that people should not be anonymous when coming out with statements like these, which is why I'm using my real name and information. I always have. Don't be afraid to put your name on your statement--stand by what you say, absolutely.

Secondly, I have learned to measure the quality of care by this fact: will people still be kind and help you when you have no money to offer them??? The CFTU is helping me and they probably have been through this before, so they understand what I'm going through and are trying to provide the support that most people can't or won't.

I m Rebecca from ChinaESL. Today one of our teacher who is very kind and send me the link. He trust us and wanted me to post the information on my side.

1. We signed the contract with Katherine before she came to China. We did follow the contract and do everything according to the contract. We had to arrange many things for her and now she cancelled the contract just left and gave us lots of trouble. According to the contract she should pay us if she left suddenly, I didn't ask her the money. Instead, after she stopped working in the school, we still let her live in the apartment until she left and because she left we had to lost 5000 yuan for the deposit for the apartment and another one month rent. She also didn't pay for the expenses she lived there we had to pay for that.

2. We do admit that we earn money, but it is not as much as you thought. We had to pay for the invoice tax to the government and we had to arrange the visa for the teachers and we had to spend money on the apartment and hire assistants and operating a company. Those are also lots of money. If the school signs the contract with the teachers directly they will not pay the teacher that much, the extra money is simply for our extra service. Because we promised the school if the teachers leave we would arrange a new teacher for them right away, otherwise they do not need to give us any money for the last month and we have to double pay them as the penalty. Those are all the risk we have to take.

3. If the teachers leave we may have to give up the apartment we arranged for them because it is not very easy to sublet the apartment, so sometimes we have to lose all the rent and the deposit we paid. Usually we rent from the agent, we had to lose the agent fee as well. And to operate a normal company there are also many other PR fee and something else, those are all the cost. The school of course doesn't afford the apartment, visa and airfare bonus and all those other fees, but we have to pay. So those are all the cost under the number. If the teachers suddenly leave we do not only have to pay the penalty to the school but also affect future cooperation, which gives us lots of trouble. So we always tell the teacher, it is ok you work for other schools or agents after the contract, but during the contract, please obey it and if you have to leave, please give us notice, not suddenly leave. If you suddenly leave, you will get penalty. I think it is fair. Just like if you sign the lease for the apartment, if you cancel the lease earlier, you lose the deposit and the rent you paid. It is the same thing.

4. Again, we did everything according to the contract. It is not me cancelled the contract. I didn't scam anyone and I didn't lie to anyone. Everything was written in the contract before the teachers come. We always follow the contract and do thing fairly.

Katherine, fair enough to everything you've said. I appreciate you taking the time to look at each of my concerns.

I am still concerned at the 'work' done by the 'Teachers Union' website, anonymity is rarely justified. But if you feel they are doing good for you, so be it.

At the end of the day, you will have your say, and at some point, Rebecca will have hers. No one except you too will know which is the exact truth. All that can be said is that no matter who you believe, just be careful who you deal with, double and triple check everything you are told, and be sure to have a plan b, and c, whenever you move to a new country.

And have some spare change available, just in case things go south.

But seeing as ChinaESL has now replied, you have the opportunity to discuss what she has said yourself, so I don't need to add anything else.

BumbleBee, I appreciate your advice and yes I"ve learned a valuable lesson, I"m going to thoroughly research before signing anymore contracts. Rather than arguing extensively I'm going to post both my contracts here tomorrow; the one before coming to china and the new unfair one Rebecca made me sign when I got here. She will justify anything that I say and she will not tell the truth--those kinds of people never do. Party A: Did you lie to Party B withhold information from her? Did you steal money from her? Party A: Yes, you caught me. That won't happen and I know that. Before posting my replies I knew what was going to happen: I was going to tell the truth, and past employees were going to jump in and defend her. I know some people have had good experiences with her. There are people who had good experiences with psychopaths like Ted Bundy too; he was charming, he seemed nice, he seemed like someone you could trust, and he didn't rape and kill every woman he met. I know that's a drastic comparison, but just saying. She's a master manipulator. I'm cringing as I read her response because its full of garbage.

1.) Rebecca, you did not follow our original contract that we signed before coming to China. I have both of them and will post them tomorrow, so people will see what I'm talking about. And if you try to block my profile or report me, I'll make a new one and I will keep spreading this story around, because its the least I can do to help others and prevent them from getting ripped off. I told the landlord I would pay the bills, and when I went to withdraw money from my account I saw you didn't pay it like you were supposed to. Had you at least given me some money, I would have paid the bills, no problem. You left me completely broke--that was your choice, not mine. Additionally, both my former roommates and my landlord will confirm that I contributed to the electricity, the water and ayi while living there.

2.) I paid for my F visa to get here, and you were going to use my money to pay for renewing my F visa in Hong Kong, pretending that you were doing me a favor and "lending me" the money. Also, one of your past assistants told me that you didn't treat her very nicely and you didn't pay her very much. You didn't even pay for my taxi fare to get from the airport to your house, and good companies do that. And secondly, the school said they would have been paying me 15,800rmb if it hadn't been for you; they said you refused to show the contracts that you had with the teachers and that you are pushy and greedy and they don't want to work with you anymore. Lastly, if you were a good agent who took good care of me, you would not have lied to me about the type of visa I needed, you know better! I qualify for a Z visa and in all your emails you insisted I get an F visa, and you knew it was illegal for me to work under those conditions. That was wrong, and I'm going to post that email--I saved copies of everything.

3.) Oh please, you are making sound like "If you had just come to me and told me..." I did and you weren't willing to budge! You were not willing to negotiate and threatened me and scared me into signing that ridiculous shady contract! You knew I didn't know any better and you took advantage of it-- you just see dollar signs when you look at me. You even wrote that if I show it to anyone I'd have to pay a fine, and that you'd blacklist me with your friends at the PSB.

Rebecca is not a fair person. If she was, she wouldn't have so many people speaking out against her. She wouldn't be on the blacklist with several other complaints from other foreign teachers and people wouldn't be trying to get her license revoked. My claims are true. Stay tuned for my contracts and emails, soon to be posted.

Rebecca, don't you dare mess with anyone else. You leave them alone. I know you had someone spying on me and that you are friends with the head of the Entry/Exit department, they said so themselves. And I know one of them was spying on me for you; I never told you I was leaving, or when I was leaving, and yet somehow you knew, and you sent your assistant the morning of for one last stab at me. I know you have connections to the government, Web knows it too. I know that other schools have banned working with you because they also found out about how you were treating the teachers and your fees are ridiculous; I know this because I spoke to them myself...does First Leap sound familiar? Good luck responding to that, you terrible crow woman.

I've been doing my research and I know you're scam; you might be able to take my money and harass me and bully me and take me away from the people I care about, but you can't make me be quiet. And you can't make anyone else be quiet either--more people are going to start speaking up and you may have to resort to getting an honest job...and just so we're clear, don't ask me for a reference.

Katherine, first off, don't worry about your account here. It isn't going anywhere. Unless it was obvious you were lying, no one will ever delete your account or what you say. Everyone on TBJ is given a fair chance to say what they believe, and defend themselves accordingly.

Next, just to be upfront, yes, I know Rebecca, and yes I have worked with ChinaESL in many different ways. But Rebecca herself knows very well that i will never just 'jump to her defense', and will always look at both sides of a disagreement. I don't know your case specifically, or anyone else's, so I will just ask for more clarification on both sides, and let readers judge for themselves.

You mention that ChinaESL is on that 'blacklist'. As i commented this morning, that site just seems to put schools and agents on that list as a result of them having complaints on websites. But at least in the instances where teachers have complained on TBJ, just like here, ChinaESL have always responded with their side of the story. And yet those links remain. Was any school on that 'blacklist' given the chance to answer? If not, I wouldn't put much faith in that site, or their list, IMHO.

One important part of the whole situation, is that you talk of how you didn't get paid for the last month of work, but that you also left, without telling Rebecca when you were leaving. So when exactly did you leave? And why? If the job itself was ok, why did you leave it? It doesn't seem like the cops were telling you to leave, but you just decided to pack and go. Can you tell us why?

And to ChinaESL, yes, there is the question of the Visa. But Katherine, you yourself said that your research showed that most teachers here work with an F visa, and never had any problems. Did none of the pages you brought up mention that teachers cannot work on F visa? Yes, ChinaESL would of course have been aware that legally, a Z visa was necessary. But I'll leave it up to Rebecca to answer why they feel a F is enough.

Responses to BumbleBee:
"Katherine, first off, don't worry about your account here. It isn't going anywhere. Unless it was obvious you were lying, no one will ever delete your account or what you say. Everyone on TBJ is given a fair chance to say what they believe, and defend themselves accordingly." In my research I had read comments from a few people that when they replied or posted comments about Rebecca (or other bad agents) on TBJ before that it disappeared the next day, and it made it frustrating for them to tell their story. I'm also considering the power of the great firewall, which mysteriously blocked certain emails I never receieved to/from friends and family. However, yes, most stories I've read seemed to provide space for both sides to talk.

"Next, just to be upfront, yes, I know Rebecca, and yes I have worked with ChinaESL in many different ways. But Rebecca herself knows very well that i will never just 'jump to her defense', and will always look at both sides of a disagreement. I don't know your case specifically, or anyone else's, so I will just ask for more clarification on both sides, and let readers judge for themselves." Well, we'll see. I'm always willing to answer questions though, to anyone, because I have nothing to hide.

"You mention that ChinaESL is on that 'blacklist'. As i commented this morning, that site just seems to put schools and agents on that list as a result of them having complaints on websites. But at least in the instances where teachers have complained on TBJ, just like here, ChinaESL have always responded with their side of the story. And yet those links remain. Was any school on that 'blacklist' given the chance to answer? If not, I wouldn't put much faith in that site, or their list, IMHO." That's your opinion. CTFU caters to people that are being screwed over or have job grievances that will not be taken seriously otherwise, and for now I believe they want to help me, and help inform others that may fall under traps like these. I value that TBJ gives everyone a voice, but its also frustrating in my case because Rebecca is not telling the truth--I know ultimately its going to boil down to my word against hers, and some people just won't believe me. Eventually I'll accept that, but for now I'm too angry. Lastly, its worth it to me that such a blacklist exists; there needs to be a resource like that so people can make more informed decisions. You need to know all the good and all the bad before making a decision. Had I heard about it before, I would have made a different decision.

"One important part of the whole situation, is that you talk of how you didn't get paid for the last month of work, but that you also left, without telling Rebecca when you were leaving. So when exactly did you leave? And why? If the job itself was ok, why did you leave it? It doesn't seem like the cops were telling you to leave, but you just decided to pack and go. Can you tell us why?" I left on Jan. 29th. I left because I wanted to get away from Rebecca, and all three other options sucked. Option 1.) Stay at web and sign with them directly: pay Rebecca 20,000rmb and Web would have had to pay 20,000rmb as well, lose the apartment, start all over (didn't have the money for it), stay for one more year (didn't want to do). 2.) Switch to another company: pay Rebecca 20,000rmb, lose the apartment, start all over, stay for one more year. 3.) Switch to fulltime at my second job I had to take up in October: pay 20,000rmb to Rebecca, lose the apartment, start all over, stay another year. No matter what I was broke and I would lose. Additionally the police were going to fine me, but in the end they decided to help me despite Rebecca's relationship with their boss, which was really cool (much to my surprise). However, Rebecca was also harassing me, sending the landlord and her assistant barging into my apartment demanding that I pay money for utilities. I had no money to give before I left, I was broke, she kept it all. I didn't have any to start over. She also got someone to pose as a police officer the morning I was going to leave and demand that I provide my flight information. Lastly, I wanted time to heal and just be with my friends and family. I'd been battling this for the last 2 months and was very stressed and tired and scared. I just wanted to go home--my fight was going nowhere.

"And to ChinaESL, yes, there is the question of the Visa. But Katherine, you yourself said that your research showed that most teachers here work with an F visa, and never had any problems. Did none of the pages you brought up mention that teachers cannot work on F visa? Yes, ChinaESL would of course have been aware that legally, a Z visa was necessary. But I'll leave it up to Rebecca to answer why they feel a F is enough." Pssshhhh, yeah Rebecca, what's your excuse? I'm interested. No, I didn't read that it was illegal. I read F visas were for business and that most FT's had those, and I thought that was the right one. Rebecca insisted it needed to be an F visa. It wasn't until I went to the police to report Rebecca and show them the contract that I found out. And I also found out this during the last interrogation: the invitation Rebecca sent to me was not for ChinaESL, it was for a different company. Its a fraudulent letter. This is yet another reason her license should be revoked and why her business is a scam. She does not have the legal paperwork to bring people over here and provide the support for a proper visa. She's a visa "expert" so she knows what she is supposed to do. She keeps in control of people that way; when people like me go to the police to report her contract for violation of numerous labor laws, I end up getting fined.

My scanner isn't working right now so I will post my contract later, but in the meantime, read this:

http://www.thebeijinger.com/forum/2008/10/23/Do-you-know-anything-about-Chinaesl?page=1

AND this: http://www.tefl.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5733&p=13554#p13554

This supports my claims that other people have had issues standing up to her and blasting her on the internet, even on the Beijinger, which FT's trust for reading honest reviews. Chaofan argues that my claims are ridiculous, but what happend to the 2 year old thread started by "Bannoy" that had a dozen people complaining about China ESL in it? That whole thread suddenly just disappeared last week! In another Thread more than a year old posters "Monkey King" and "Incredible Egg" both pointed out that Rebecca Tang was blowing her own horn as multiple identities" see links:

http://www.thebeijinger.com/forum/2013/01/31/beware-chinaesl-scam-alert-rebecca-tang-will-rip-you and http://www.thebeijinger.com/forum/2008/10/23/Do-you-know-anything-about-Chinaesl and http://www.thebeijinger.com/node/1592803

Don't be surprised if this disappears in a week...Rebecca has the power to silence people because of how well-marketed she is and how much money she pays to advertise her scam business. For anyone else that wants to speak up about their stories: Fraudwatchers.org, Scam.com, and RipoffReport.com are places where Rebecca can't advertise. You have a fair shot their. China ESL is on 5 different ESL Forums and Message Boards - some as far back as 5 years ago. She knows what she's doing--no dummy you're working with here.

Go to this link, it has the fraud letter, email requesting an F visa, and both the contracts I signed before coming to China and the one she made me sign when I got there.

http://s126.beta.photobucket.com/user/ktcoxster/story/12883

Let me know if you're able to read it, I know the great firewall is an issue sometimes.

Unlike the OP, if there are other reading this and you intend to come to China, please just be cautious. Bring some money and bring your common sense…

Don't sign anything youu're not comfortable with, and don't put yourself in a situation where you are "trapped".

OMG...

@katherine...Stupid for signing and no one forced you
@rebecca.....Consider putting into your contract a clause requiring a 90 days notice, or 60 days.
@bumblebee..I remember earlier you were complaining of being treated unfairly, going to court or something to get your money back, and promised this site you would give us the final outcome. Did you do that? I haven't heard of your final outcome so please inform or post the link where we can read about it or, please sht up and/or fck yourself.Quite amazing a few months ago you were crying foul and upset and sounding exactly like this poster and now your acting like you are above all of it. Jeez.

Show us the outcome of your ordeal as you promised bumblebee or you lose any credibility you might have. Bumblebee is bumblemumbleass.

This is a "one-company" town (& country!) and that goes for the website we are on right now.

To those considering China from abroad, bring enough money to live in a hotel for a month or two, and return home if you don't get what you want.

Cause if you don't like it, LEAVE!!!!!

I am a colleague of Katherine and she asked me to help her post these documents here since she did not know how. I think they confirm much of what she has to say. There are colleagues who can support her version of what tookplace but they are still employed with friends of Ms. Tang and I can guess they feel a bit intimidated to speak up. Anyway, here are the documents Katherine asked me to post:

These documents need no explanation if you read them.

Although I have not yet had a problem with Ms. Tang myself, I have heard her tell her assistant "Nobody gets a release letter for free" and I have heard her lie many times to teachers about their visa situations. I also know that she collects 3,000-5,000 rmb per month for every teacher she recruits, and that she never returns deposits for anything.

Also since I was brought into this mess, I read some old links in the "Teaching English" section of TBJ and discovered that user Chaofan admitted in 2011 that he was a client and a friend of Ms. Tang and that may explain why he has been defending her every time someone tries to report her wrongdoing. Users by the name of Monkey King and Incredible Egg spotted this "bias" in the old threads.

One last thing, my roomie told me that he posted a thread back in 2008 about how Ms. Tang used to threaten to put teachers on a blacklist and get them deported if they ever made a complaint against her with anyone anywhere. He said he put that post up in this link here ---> http://www.thebeijinger.com/forum/2008/09/04/Anyone-Dealt-with-ChinaESL

But now this link has just vanished. Perhaps the same person who deleted the 2 year old thread of user "Bannoy" also deleted the 2008 link? Very strange.

@catherine... You signed the contract are are responsible for your signature.
@Rebecca...I was going to suggest you write a miminum period in which party B must give notice of resiging, but you already have 90 days. Very legal and precis.
@Bumblebee...Don't come off as if your high and almighty and look down upon catherine. I can remember a short while back you were screaming and on the soap box here every bit as much as catherine is now. You even promised this site you would post the final outcome, which I never saw. So either it is still in process. (That is your claim you are going to recover your loss which was crap.) Or you posted it and I missed it, so pls supply a link to the post. Or you did not ever inform this site of the outcome as you promised so you broke your promise and have lost any credibility you might have had. Maybee bumblee is bumbleloudmouthass. You wer ehere crying "foul" just as loud as this lady is, so what was your result. don't act like you weren't stupid enough to be ripped off here. Oh how you have a selective memory.

Haha, that's the silliest contract i've seen. They even mention blacklisting in it. That's absurd! haha. "Hey, if you don't do this i will get you on a BLACKLIST!" Lol

ChinaESL has got some serious busniess here 8}

The school pays 15800.
The teacher gets 5000.
ChinaESL gets the rest.
"We do admit that we earn money, but it is not as much as you thought". Yes, it's very easy to say that with no transparency in your dealings with the school. When you sign with ChinaESL, you can just take their word for it, it's going to be alright!!

... and a 20 000 RMB fine on top of that. Wooh!

ChinaESL :X Chaofan.... and money!!!

Yeah the blacklisting and 20,000 rmb fine is interesting and no one in their right mind would sign such a document. Fully agee. Who would sign such a stupid contract unless very naive. I tend to disagree with the transparency thing. It is not necessary to explain your profit to potential teachers. Actually in every purchase one makes in a retail store their is no transparency. How much profit are they making? Who knows? It really isn't anyones business, the teachers nor the schools, on how much she is making by providing her service of hooking teachers up with schools. If I buy a watch for 20,000 rmb and am able to sell it to another for 40,000 why do I need to be transparent. Tranparency not needed. A contract, when signed, means both parties are accepting the terms (of course the terms must be legal and not breaking any laws) and unless made under duress ( a gun to your head), both parties can live with it and feel it is somehow fair.

I think any qualified teacher has to change their way of thinking. If they are interested in work over here but still living abroad, they should send a CV that includes their salary requirements. Then in the cover letter they can mention please pay attention to my requirements before replying. if your requirements are not met do not travel here. And once here do not agree to anything less. (Actually I would require they pay the airfare upfront with no risk on me. But that is an individual choice.

i wouldn't hire any person stupid enough to sign such a document, but in this case they aren't really interested in qualified teachers I suspect.

I don't know if you read my earlier posts Equalizer but I explained earlier that if I didn't sign it she insisted that I would have to pay 20,000rmb and because I didn't have any other place to go, didn't know enough Chinese and had just gotten there I didn't feel that I had any choice but to sign. I didn't have enough money to get home if I wanted to. I wish people would stop pointing out what I DID wrong--I know I should have made a different choice and knowing what I know now I would have, but this was my first gig working abroad and I didn't understand how this all works. I had some ideas, had read good reviews about her online, thought this was the right visa, was recommended by a Chinese teacher back in the states, etc. Please spare the judgement of the victim; you were not in my shoes. And if I'm soooooo stupid, why are over half the teachers in all the Web centers employed in Beijing through her? Not mention other preschools and kindergartens, what have you.

Please focus on these points:
1.) Rebecca is breaking the law(s) and is stealing
2.) Rebecca is not telling the truth, and I have proven to you all to the best of my ability that I am being 100% honest.
3.) This is happening to other people and it needs to stop. Other people need to be warned. I was not given accurate, honest information before coming here. I have several emails where I asked for good information and SHE LIED TO ME! She is controlling 5 different TEFL sites and has paid to have negative comments removed.

Would you tell a girl she deserved to be raped and that she was asking for it if she was wearing a nice dress? Would you tell a soldier he deserves to have PTSD or his arm blown off if he signed up to be in the military? God I would hope not, or that says something about what kind of people you are.

My last post was deleted and marked as spam, again. Great. Hopefully this one will reach you:

Would you say a girl deserved to be raped or she was asking for it if she was wearing a nice dress? Would you say a soldier deserves to have traumatic brain injury or PTSD if he signed up to be in the military? I would hope not. The point is people in situations like these are victims.

If I am sooo stupid, how is that over half the FT's working in all the Web centers in Beijing are employed through Rebecca? How has she been screwing people over for 8 years and yet complaints keep magically disappearing off the internet? And as I've stated, I didn't know then what I know now, and if I did I would have made a better choice. I was lied to before I got here, I asked plenty of questions via email and did as much research as I could before coming here and additionally had no clue how this was supposed to work. It was my first time working abroad, and she knew that. She told me if I didn't sign I'd have to pay her money, and if I wanted to I didn't have enough money to get home. I came to China (in addition to experiencing culture and learn language, history, etc.) because I wanted to be a teacher and lastly I was broke. I don't come from a rich family. She took advantage of me being "so naive" and that was wrong; don't shoot the victim.

Anyways, please don't judge and focus on what I did wrong. I could list just as many things as you could. Please focus on the point of this:
1.) Rebecca Tang is scamming people, she is lying to them, she is breaking the law(s) and she needs to be held accountable.
2.) This will keep happening to people unless word gets out there, and people believe what I'm saying.

TheIncredibleEgg wrote:
Haha, that's the silliest contract i've seen. They even mention blacklisting in it. That's absurd! haha. "Hey, if you don't do this i will get you on a BLACKLIST!" Lol

ChinaESL has got some serious busniess here 8}

The school pays 15800.
The teacher gets 5000.
ChinaESL gets the rest.
"We do admit that we earn money, but it is not as much as you thought". Yes, it's very easy to say that with no transparency in your dealings with the school. When you sign with ChinaESL, you can just take their word for it, it's going to be alright!!

... and a 20 000 RMB fine on top of that. Wooh!

ChinaESL :X Chaofan.... and money!!!

Who said the school pays 15,800 and the teacher gets 5000 of that? My contract with them I got 10,000 per month, not bad for 4 years ago.

oh, you got it wrong stupid, you should have wrote chaofan :X money!

get it right douchebag!

She only gets away with it, as you put it, because people are willing to sign such outrages contracts. No one signs and she has no business. How many red flags do you need or did you not read and understand the contract?

- Party A has the right to refuse a leave. What if someone died in your family and she refused?
- Party B to pay 20000 rmb if one of Party B's friends works for a school without signing with Party A. (Something out of your control.)
- Etc., etc., etc.

There are at least 25 red flags in this contract. You obviously asked the wrong questions or should go back to school and practice reading comprehension. Only a foll would sign such document.

You can focus on drug dealers also, but if people stopped buying drugs there would not be any drug dealers. One needs to evaluate both sides of the equation. Tang is one and you are the other. I mean, get real. She told you something like if you didn't sign trouble would come to you. And you seriously signed? There is one born everyday I guess.