Logged Users (last hour): 230
Registered Users: 227,024

Z visa residents now need to re-register at the police station upon return

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
coco-nuts's picture

Wonder if anyone else has heard that this is now apparently a new policy for the people on Z.

About a month ago, received a call from the police station to stop in to re-register.

Informed them that Z visa holders are not generally required to do that, no?

Reply on the phone was that the law had changed. Thanked the officer and let it be.

At renewal time, was informed by the Exit/Entry that the police registration form was invalid.

Had to return to police station to get a new registration. After some discussion and negotation about why it had taken so long to stop in was given a new registration, which was then accepted by Exit/Entry.

chaofan's picture

Don't worry, in a year or two nobody will be able to get a visa anymore in China. All visas will have so many new rules and regulations nobody will be able to get one. That is their master plan. 8}

CatMog's picture

You mean you have to re-register every time you re-enter China after being abroad? This has been a requirement for a while, but not many people know about it, or they do, and don't bother.

Or do you mean to re-register once you have your residents permit or a new Z visa?

Count_zero's picture

> You mean you have to re-register every time you re-enter China after being abroad?

Of course that's what he means.

Though technically, it's not a Z visa. Mine says on it "residence permit".

Did you have to take your landlord/lady to the police station?

coco-nuts's picture

Residence Permit. According to the police (and in this specific incident), registration is required upon every return. That's why the renewal at Exit/Entry was not accepted and required a new registration slip from the PSB. Landlord does not live in town.

chaofan's picture

I have always only re-registered when I received a new visa, never after leaving the country and coming back and have never had a problem with it.

coco-nuts's picture

First i heard of it to. Bad feeling to know you've been singled out. Dont know why.

alwn1708's picture
chaofan wrote:
I have always only re-registered when I received a new visa, never after leaving the country and coming back and have never had a problem with it.

Same here , I am in and out of China constantly and never had to re-register my residence on return, that's just bollocks. The idea of a multi-entry visa is to avoid crap like this , you can come and go freely. The only barrier would be if you have visa restrictions? But otherwise as long as your on a z-visa, and you renew your residence permit with the polizei annually before presenting for said visa renewal, I really don't see the problem. I am doing mine this weekend I'll let you know if I have any probs Smile

bopol's picture

This depends on city where you are located.

The Equalizer's picture

To date, I only need to register once a year at the police station after receiving next years visa (never after just leaving the country), so let me know if its changed. I suppose my mishu is on top of those things anyhow.

alwn1708's picture

Current processing time on a renewal z-visa is three weeks from date of application (this is a new standard processing time) and the price is 800RMB.
There is also a new application form to fill out which requires a stamp from your inviting company, as well as requiring a 1" photo applying to it.

coco-nuts's picture

Current FECs require up to 15 days for processing. Existing work permits requiring renewals will need to allow for 7 days.

alwn1708's picture
coco-nuts wrote:
Current FECs require up to 15 days for processing. Existing work permits requiring renewals will need to allow for 7 days.

z-visa processing is three weeks , fixed.

sh2bj's picture

I have re-entered china today with a new Z visa got in HK. I registered at police station a month ago with my old visa and had the landlady with me with the required documentation to get the temporary residence cert.
Since I am still at the same address (which presumably they have in their computer system), does anyone know if I have to drag the landlady in again or can I just bring along my contract (same one they saw a month ago) and passport with new visa to get this done ?

javajoe's picture
sh2bj wrote:
I have re-entered china today with a new Z visa got in HK. I registered at police station a month ago with my old visa and had the landlady with me with the required documentation to get the temporary residence cert.
Since I am still at the same address (which presumably they have in their computer system), does anyone know if I have to drag the landlady in again or can I just bring along my contract (same one they saw a month ago) and passport with new visa to get this done ?

If you don't bring her, they'll say you need her. If you do bring her, they'll say "What are you doing here? You didn't need to come."

sh2bj's picture
javajoe wrote:
sh2bj wrote:

If you don't bring her, they'll say you need her. If you do bring her, they'll say "What are you doing here? You didn't need to come."

yes, I think that about sums it up. They have us by the short and curlies.

javajoe's picture
sh2bj wrote:
javajoe wrote:
sh2bj wrote:

Seriously, as long as it's the same landlord and the same police station, I've never had the landlord with me for any except the first visit.

yes, I think that about sums it up. They have us by the short and curlies.

Seriously, as long as it's the same landlord and the same police station, I've never had the landlord with me for any except the first visit.

wing0602's picture

No matter what, I think for the foreign friends who wish to stay long in China, for their own benefit, it is better to register at the PSB as required every time. Also, when you go there you can ask for some recent news about visa policy. The official information is always the best to get because they are the one who issue your visa.
I think, no matter how uncomfortable we feel, it is what it is !
Every country has their own rights to revise the policy in whatever way they want. Better for us just be the one more aware of the updates and to what benefits for us the most !
Good luck for friends in China ~!

beijingleeo's picture

There are hundreds of police stations in Beijing.
I don't think the policemen at the police stations know well about the Chinese visa policies.
What they care about most is whether the foreigners have registered or not as required.

For the 2nd registration staying at the same apartment, normally there is no need to ask the landlord to come along. You can call the landlord and ask the landlord to explain in Chinese if the policeman insists.