In view of the air pollution, how is it to live in Beijing as a foreigner?

82 posts / 0 new
Last post

I wanted to know how foreigner feels like when he or she visits Bejing for the first time?

~~“Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.” ~~.

The air pollution is terrible at times in Beijing, although media in the West tends to blow it out of proportion.

You can read more of our coverage about Beijng's air quality here

Waqaroptimist wrote:

I wanted to know how foreigner feels like when he or she visits Bejing for the first time?

Anybody can breathe Alpine air. It takes a real man to hack and coff his way through Beijing's brew. "Siegen oder Untergehen!"

Life gives only the choice of victory or defeat. It does not grant the luxury of war or peace."---Oswald Spengler

Waqaroptimist wrote:

I wanted to know how foreigner feels like when he or she visits Bejing for the first time?

Its depends on where you come from. I come from Chicago so I am use to clear blue skies. I know Chicago wasn't always like that but, during my entire life it has been. I don't like pollution and I am amazed by how normal it is here. I wear a mask.

JayOverseas wrote:
Waqaroptimist wrote:

I wanted to know how foreigner feels like when he or she visits Bejing for the first time?

Its depends on where you come from. I come from Chicago so I am use to clear blue skies. I know Chicago wasn't always like that but, during my entire life it has been. I don't like pollution and I am amazed by how normal it is here. I wear a mask.

I know what you mean. In Chicago I only wore a mask when I ducked into a liquor store with pistol drawn.

Life gives only the choice of victory or defeat. It does not grant the luxury of war or peace."---Oswald Spengler

I was born and raised in the southside of Chicago. During the summer, the stockyards spread an aweful smell, but pollution was non existant. Lived in Beijing for 7 years and as the pollution got worse and worse, moved to Hawaii. It's so great to breath fresh air agoan.

That is funny!!!!

Tim USA wrote:

That is funny!!!!

Careful: laughing is oxygen-intensive.

Life gives only the choice of victory or defeat. It does not grant the luxury of war or peace."---Oswald Spengler

yeah, but being here +10 years, i have become accostomed to it,,, actually traveling back to the US is like breathing pure oxygen,,, i knew what it was like when i chose to come,,, my feeling, it is what it is,,, if you don't lkike it or ask questions about it, don't bother coming and complaining about it,,,

Now, as for living here, its a pretty nice place,,, it is NOT and never will be like where you are from,,, don't come here and bitch about it not being like your home,,, if that is how you are going to be, do not come,,, it is your job to adapt to here, it isnt their job to adapt to you!!!!

Tim USA wrote:

Now, as for living here, its a pretty nice place,,, it is NOT and never will be like where you are from,,, don't come here and bitch about it not being like your home,,, if that is how you are going to be, do not come,,, it is your job to adapt to here, it isnt their job to adapt to you!!!!

Exactly! Totally agreed!

to adapt to pollution? really...and btw in guangdong or other provinces at least its normal to eat dogs . keep adapting. I didnt say that btw, its just a fact.

I stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now )))

touche""" didn't expect that, but true, however, I will not and never will knowingly eat a dog or cat... as for the dogeaters from you know where, its beyond the dogeating part.... fyi, my wife is from Guangdong, no, she is not eat dogs.

as for pollution, same here as it was back in the 40's through the 60's, in the US,,, i remember when lake erie had no fish in it because of all the steel mill pollution... yes, the US cleaned up its act so to speak, mostly by sending all the shit to another place,,, so i won't cast stones!!!!

for Tim USA: if you really love dogs, add wechat group United Love Shelter, more than 40 dogs and puppies were saved during Yulin dog meat festival, this shelter needs donations and volunteers for walking out with dogs and other stuff, its in Guangzhou. if you cant add by group name, i will send PM to you.

I stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now )))

As someone who is experiencing the air pollution for the first time, I can say it looks worse than it is. Sure the sky is a pale grey, and you can see some haze obscuring distant buildings, but on the ground walking around the only thing you notice is a slight taste of dirt. That is avoided if you wear a mask, which I do. But then I've only experienced the normal levels, I have yet to see what living here is like when you can't see twenty feet in front of you.

Pity the man too dense for satire.

All accents are equal, except some accents are more equal than others.

50% of the foreigners coming to China and staying longer than a year are as heavily baldening as heavy they fvck around.

Air, water, food, stress, China - to make it short.

Tim USA wrote:

as for pollution, same here as it was back in the 40's through the 60's, in the US,,, i remember when lake erie had no fish in it because of all the steel mill pollution... yes, the US cleaned up its act so to speak, mostly by sending all the shit to another place,,, so i won't cast stones!!!!

Personally I find this to be a handy counter-argument to the pollution thing. I think we should use this logic to bring back burning witches at the stake, mass adoption of child labor, using radioactivity for beauty treatments, feeding people mercury to cure their mental ailments, curing demonic posession via bloodletting, and keeping women from voting and shit. Oh and throwing Christians to the lions, that would be fun.

 

Books by current and former Beijinger staffers

http://astore.amazon.com/truerunmedia-20

admin wrote:
Tim USA wrote:

as for pollution, same here as it was back in the 40's through the 60's, in the US,,, i remember when lake erie had no fish in it because of all the steel mill pollution... yes, the US cleaned up its act so to speak, mostly by sending all the shit to another place,,, so i won't cast stones!!!!

Personally I find this to be a handy counter-argument to the pollution thing. I think we should use this logic to bring back burning witches at the stake, mass adoption of child labor, using radioactivity for beauty treatments, feeding people mercury to cure their mental ailments, curing demonic posession via bloodletting, and keeping women from voting and shit. Oh and throwing Christians to the lions, that would be fun.

I don't get it. Tim said the U.S. "cleaned up" by sending pollution elsewhere. I think his point was that, in order to have a consumer civilization, some place or another has to be shittily polluted. Why you panic about a return to some dark age is a trifle hysterical. Personally, if it came down to a choice between living in the Dark Ages or poisoning the whole damn planet in the name of economic efficiency, I'd take the former, hands down.

Life gives only the choice of victory or defeat. It does not grant the luxury of war or peace."---Oswald Spengler

I blame it on the Weather Man.

Pity the man too dense for satire.

All accents are equal, except some accents are more equal than others.

I wasn't bothered by it my first couple of years . It was a relief from everyday sunshine in Las Vegas. Then it seemed to get worse. What grossed me out badly was a local farmer using a putrid creek that was full of blue laundry soap from an apartment complex. Btw the sun is really yellow and the moon is white. Not orange.

Every country that has industrialized has gone through the same process. When first industrializing they pollute the hell out of everything because the prime imperative is to create wealth. The cheapest fuel (still) for heavy industry and manufacturing is coal. Afterwards, when massive wealth has been accumulated and millions of people have been lifted from a particular form of poverty and integrated into society as consumers, the country's attention begins to focus on the problems associated with manufacturing, the main one being pollution. In England this process lasted nigh on a century, and we really have no idea precisely how bad the pollution was, because such things weren't kept track of. In China the process has been proceeding for just over 30 years, albeit with a much larger population and consequently on a much larger scale than occurred in England. Nonetheless, that there is now attention focused on the problem, in China, is a good sign.

exactly my point, sadi much better than i did

my wife already does this,,, anything to help man's best friend....

BauLuo wrote:

Every country that has industrialized has gone through the same process. When first industrializing they pollute the hell out of everything because the prime imperative is to create wealth. The cheapest fuel (still) for heavy industry and manufacturing is coal. Afterwards, when massive wealth has been accumulated and millions of people have been lifted from a particular form of poverty and integrated into society as consumers, the country's attention begins to focus on the problems associated with manufacturing, the main one being pollution. In England this process lasted nigh on a century, and we really have no idea precisely how bad the pollution was, because such things weren't kept track of. In China the process has been proceeding for just over 30 years, albeit with a much larger population and consequently on a much larger scale than occurred in England. Nonetheless, that there is now attention focused on the problem, in China, is a good sign.

All true. But with the new commitment to keeping the population up, it may be too late to fix things,

Life gives only the choice of victory or defeat. It does not grant the luxury of war or peace."---Oswald Spengler

 

 

No no no i dont buy it.

"60 years ago american polluted the shit out itself to industrialize so we are going to do the same damn thing" denies the fact that (a) we know a lot more about the dangers of pollution now and (b) we have tons of new technologies to mitigate the pollution nowadays too.

Thats why i bring up the stoning of witches and all that. 

60 years ago we treated mental illnesses with lobotomies and we found out that shit was bad. So should china go through a phase where they do a shitload of lobotomies now and only later do it with modern techniques?

 

Books by current and former Beijinger staffers

http://astore.amazon.com/truerunmedia-20

admin wrote:

No no no i dont buy it.

"60 years ago american polluted the shit out itself to industrialize so we are going to do the same damn thing" denies the fact that (a) we know a lot more about the dangers of pollution now and (b) we have tons of new technologies to mitigate the pollution nowadays too.

Thats why i bring up the stoning of witches and all that.

60 years ago we treated mental illnesses with lobotomies and we found out that shit was bad. So should china go through a phase where they do a shitload of lobotomies now and only later do it with modern techniques?

Ah, so. I see. Color me 'learning challenged."

Life gives only the choice of victory or defeat. It does not grant the luxury of war or peace."---Oswald Spengler

A country that is pre-industrial is a poor country. Poor countries do not have the money for advanced technology, the money to use natural gas or nuclear energy as a source of energy, or the infrastructure to utilize such. To industrialize and thus gain the wealth that allows for such things therefore requires the burning of shitloads of coal. Coal is cheap, plentiful, and the technology employed in its use is simple and well established. Awarness of the dangers of pollution are immaterial. England lived through periods of horrific pollution as did Europe and America. It is not that poor countries may not wish to industrialize otherwise, it is that currently there is no other way to do so. Until there is another source of energy that is as cheap, accessible and plentiful as coal its use will remain the means that countries use to industrialize.

BauLuo wrote:

A country that is pre-industrial is a poor country. Poor countries do not have the money for advanced technology, the money to use natural gas or nuclear energy as a source of energy, or the infrastructure to utilize such. To industrialize and thus gain the wealth that allows for such things therefore requires the burning of shitloads of coal. Coal is cheap, plentiful, and the technology employed in its use is simple and well established. Awarness of the dangers of pollution are immaterial. England lived through periods of horrific pollution as did Europe and America. It is not that poor countries may not wish to industrialize otherwise, it is that currently there is no other way to do so. Until there is another source of energy that is as cheap, accessible and plentiful as coal its use will remain the means that countries use to industrialize.

However, China has no excuse. They have developed quicker than any western nation. They have enough riches to go to the moon, so they have enough money to stop the pollution all their S.O.E.'s are making. China is just being lazy while putting their people at risk. The technology to stop the pollution is avaible. Why doesn't the government make industry use it.

Shame on the government of the People's Republic of China.

美国鬼子

Well from what I have read and seen, it seems that the process to reduce air polllution is underway. It is however, a process, and it is difficult in such a behomoth of a country, to effect change quickly without drastic social consequences. (Not that drastic changes haven't been attempted before, with, of course, terrible results.)

In this regard the following may be worth reading with respect to how slow the progress in reducing air pollution was in London following the Great Smog of 1952:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smog_of_London

BauLuo wrote:

Well from what I have read and seen, it seems that the process to reduce air polllution is underway. It is however, a process, and it is difficult in such a behomoth of a country, to effect change quickly without drastic social consequences. (Not that drastic changes haven't been attempted before, with, of course, terrible results.)

In this regard the following may be worth reading with respect to how slow the progress in reducing air pollution was in London following the Great Smog of 1952:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smog_of_London

Almost 170 years ago no one knew how to stop the dangers of pollution. Today we know how to stop the dangers of pollution. China has no excuses. The technolgy is available to be used. Instead of wasting money going to the moon why not protect your population?

Reading about the great smog of London might be interesting but it is worthless as to affecting the current pollution. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

美国鬼子