Television

32 posts / 0 new
Last post

Which is your most favorite program in television?

Of those I have seen, The Wire, Sopranos, and Six Feet Under will always stick with me (this was in some ways the golden age of HBO and set the tone for many of their later programs). For something shorter, Show Me a Hero, written by David Simon (of The Wire fame) and starring Oscar Isaac was a beautiful and moving mini series based on the true story of black families being moved into predominantly white neighbourhoods in Yonkers, New York.

For comedy, Ricky Gervais' Extras was awesome, and make for a slightly less cringeworthy watch than The Office but not by much. Peep Show will probably remain my all-time favorite comedy though, second to Curb Your Enthusiasm. 

Digital Content Managing Editor, the Beijinger

I don't watch TV at all, seriously! Occasionally, I buy some DVDs to watch movies on my PC. Otherwise, my main source of remaining connected with the world is internet, news sites, YouTube, and books!

~~“Feelings are just visitors, let them come and go” ~~.

TV wastes a lot of time!

According to your logic, Eating, sleeping, and making love waste a lot of time.

Why not die earlier?

Life is just a process. We just need to do what like. You have no right to say so.

By the same time, no matter how hard you work, you are gona die.*bye*

VPN is as important as internet
www.chinavpn.club

Only provide VPN service built in wifi Routers.

Data privacy first, speed second.

Goldentime wrote:

Why not die earlier?

Life is just a process. We just need to do what like. You have no right to say so.

Sleeping, making love, eating are important things by all accounts, watching TV is not! Yes, we have to die one day, but it doesn't mean we should not try to leave our imprints, good work, for the future generations. I am always in try to do something which can remain forever in this world, or at least till 2099.

What happens in 2099? Besides all the awesome futuristic Spiderman adventures.

Pity the man too dense for satire.

All accents are equal, except some accents are more equal than others.

Goldentime wrote:

Why not die earlier?

He says TV wastes time, so all those others waste time? Yours is no logic at all. If a man values money, then making money is time well spent. If a man values artistic creation, creating art is time well spent. If he values sport, time spent in sport is time well spent. All of these hone abilities and demand one attend his own life.

If an individual values sitting on his ass and watching whatever garbage gets broadcast, he is no man at all. A passive lump of protoplasm, only marginally distinguishable from dogshit.

"A society with no other scale than the legal one is not worthy of man."---Solzhenitsyn

ever since laowai told me chinese tv wer boring, i quit watching it. my tv has not been turned on for years. plz reimburse my money spent on purchasing it.

Xylophone wrote:
Goldentime wrote:

Why not die earlier?

He says TV wastes time, so all those others waste time? Yours is no logic at all. If a man values money, then making money is time well spent. If a man values artistic creation, creating art is time well spent. If he values sport, time spent in sport is time well spent. All of these hone abilities and demand one attend his own life.

If an individual values sitting on his ass and watching whatever garbage gets broadcast, he is no man at all. A passive lump of protoplasm, only marginally distinguishable from dogshit.

Thanks for explaining my thought very very well. Smile

LysanderWrites wrote:

What happens in 2099? Besides all the awesome futuristic Spiderman adventures.

After 2099, things will change a lot. Today's ideas and invetions will look obsolete. Smile

Personally I never miss an episode of 熊出没。觉得光头强是真来。Booby 是吉吉王国

Xylophone wrote:
Goldentime wrote:

Why not die earlier?

You would make an exception for sitting on your ass and reading a book, I assume?

Hi Buddy, truth is I do not care how you think about the dogshit you wrote. I just know I have just closed a deal, the compound would buy our IPTV service. Total number is RMB1800*1000clients/year. Do you think I care about how you think about watching TV?

www.chinavpn.club

Goldentime wrote:

Hi Buddy, truth is I do not care how you think about the dogshit you wrote. I just know I have just closed a deal, the compound would buy our IPTV service. Total number is RMB1800*1000clients/year. Do you think I care about how you think about watching TV?

How he thinks, he can only think one way: with his brain. Either improve your English or stop drinking before posting on the forum.

美国鬼子

Speaking native English will not make you rich. Otherwise, nobody need to get a Mater or Ph.D degree or work hard.

www.chinavpn.club

Goldentime wrote:

Speaking native English will not make you rich. Otherwise, nobody need to get a Mater or Ph.D degree or work hard.

I promise you that I have made more money than you in China using only my skills at speaking native English.

美国鬼子

I hear where you're coming from Waqar Smile But I'd argue that movies are a much bigger waste of time than TV now. Series that Tom mentioned like The Wire and The Sopranos, and other like Mad Men and Breaking Bad, along with current series like Fargo and The Americans, are way better than any film I've seen in years.

Favorites of all time: Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones & Parks and Rec.

Currently into: Billions starring Paul Giamatti

I'm heavily biased because I write television scripts, but I've always found this to be true whether the discussion is about movies, books, radio or television. The only real metric of quality is a good story, well told. Admittedly those can be difficult to come by, and some stories are only appreciated with the benefit of time and hindsight.

LysanderWrites wrote:

I'm heavily biased because I write television scripts, but I've always found this to be true whether the discussion is about movies, books, radio or television. The only real metric of quality is a good story, well told. Admittedly those can be difficult to come by, and some stories are only appreciated with the benefit of time and hindsight.

There are some damned good TV shows. Unfortunately, in a market civilization, these tend to be scarce. It's easier to make intelligent people watch something moderately crappy than it is to make the two-footed oxen appreciate quality. That said, the UK (and Europe generally) does some fine programming.

"A society with no other scale than the legal one is not worthy of man."---Solzhenitsyn

Goldentime wrote:

Doesn't the guy getting a PhD in English study English as spoken by natives?

zhenlai wrote:
Goldentime wrote:

How he thinks, he can only think one way: with his brain. Either improve your English or stop drinking before posting on the forum.

Yet obviously YOU care enough to get upset about what I think. You closed a deal? Wonderful for you. Personally, I could not care less about your career. Save your chest beating for those that care. And, if ever you're out where the street lights stop and the pavement ends, try telling the goblins out there about all the deals you closed. There are hugh swathes of humanity who not only do not care, but who are actively hostile.

As others have mentioned, it’s been a golden age for TV since the turn of the century, a feature length film simply can’t match the complexity of plot and character development that 12-14 hour episode series allow for, and HBO has been at the forefront of this creative revolution, I’ll pretty much watch anything they put out.

It generally seems a shoot-out between “The Sopranos” and “The Wire” in most people’s eyes as to the greatest ever TV series (though ‘Breaking Bad’ is astonishingly good too), but for me “The Wire” is head and shoulders above anything that’s ever been produced. I genuinely don’t believe that any TV series will ever surpass it in sustained quality, David Simon is an absolute genius (though doesn’t he just know it), how it never won any major awards is a travesty unparalleled in the history of small or big screen.

It’s interesting that a lot of the show is written by acclaimed crime novelists, rather than conventional television scriptwriters which contributes massively to the brilliant dialogue and plot development. Peerless viewing, I’m jealous of any lucky bastard that hasn’t seen it yet, and gets the joy of viewing it uninitiated for the first time.

Barack Obama's (a fan of "The Wire") favourite character was Omar Little, always a scene-stealing presence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtoM9x-Bfu8

Lord_Snooty wrote:

Barack Obama's (a fan of "The Wire") favourite character was Omar Little, always a scene-stealing presence!

Why, outside of craven sycophancy, would anyone care who Obama's favorite character was? I am a fervent admirer of Jose Ortega y Gasset, but have no idea as to what was his favorite music, wine, or dinner.

Xylophone wrote:
Lord_Snooty wrote:

Why, outside of craven sycophancy, would anyone care who Obama's favorite character was? I am a fervent admirer of Jose Ortega y Gasset, but have no idea as to what was his favorite music, wine, or dinner.

when you download movies, which format do you prefer?: rmvb, mkv or bluray?

Bye

i want to eliminate all my male fans. 1st one to be excuted: bambitcho

thanks

GeorgeThomas wrote:
Xylophone wrote:
Lord_Snooty wrote:

when you download movies, which format do you prefer?: rmvb, mkv or bluray?

Bye

I ask my muvver to turn on the VCR.

my new boss: boob, you are a good man, but your personality sucks

me: huh?

him: do you watch tv?

me: i aint

him: do you smoke and drink?

me: nah

him: which ball game do you play or is of your interest?

me: none. wait...basketball and soccer, I mean 20 years ago, I was.

him: do you have any interest besides working and sleeping?

me: as far as i know, nothing much except sex my gf on weekends

him: even if you are a good employee, i aint like to hire you/your type of people.

me: you sound like our admin

him: but i can put you in my atomsphere and change yo

me: k. will i be converted? i aint sure

him: just do it

me: you Libra's sucks

i want to eliminate all my male fans. 1st one to be excuted: bambitcho

thanks

There's are also TV shows that reflect reality and are enjoyable at the same time, for example, America's Next Top Model and Master Chef JUNIOR are my favorite ones! I used to watch ten episodes of them a day without feeling tired.

曲径通幽处 禅房花木深 山光悦鸟性 潭影空人心

him: just d

GeorgeThomas wrote:

美国鬼子