who can be enlisted in america?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

jj,zhenlai,sciency and yunrui were all in the army.
on tv,they so cool. u know.
i wonder what the criteria are to be enlisted.
thanks

wthbanmeagain wrote:
jj,zhenlai,sciency and yunrui were all in the army. on tv,they so cool. u know. i wonder what the criteria are to be enlisted. thanks

I was not in the army. I was in the Marine Corps.

美国鬼子

ok...
i just Wikipediaed it, only to find you didn't just fight on the water,but also onland and in the air?
thats so cool man!

"to deliver rapidly, combined-arms task forces on land, at sea, and in the air. The U.S. Marine Corp"

zhenlai wrote:
wthbanmeagain wrote:
jj,zhenlai,sciency and yunrui were all in the army. on tv,they so cool. u know. i wonder what the criteria are to be enlisted. thanks

Please tell me which life is better, civilian or soldier?

~~“Maybe love and pain are synonyms.” ~~.

Waqaroptimist wrote:
zhenlai wrote:
wthbanmeagain wrote:

I think you mean civilian life or life as a Marine. I was not a soldier. I am a former Marine.

Life as a civilan is much better. Although I am proud of my time in the corps I do not need the kind of structure in my life that many people need. I do not need to be guided around by my nose to get where I need to go.

美国鬼子

zhenlai wrote:
Waqaroptimist wrote:
zhenlai wrote:
wthbanmeagain wrote:

I think you mean civilian life or life as a Marine. I was not a soldier. I am a former Marine.

Life as a civilan is much better. Although I am proud of my time in the corps I do not need the kind of structure in my life that many people need. I do not need to be guided around by my nose to get where I need to go.

Glad to know we have same viewpoint on this subject. Civilian life is better, but I have talked with some Army men. They feel like they are superior breed.

Waqaroptimist wrote:
zhenlai wrote:
Waqaroptimist wrote:
zhenlai wrote:
wthbanmeagain wrote:

Glad to know we have same viewpoint on this subject. Civilian life is better, but I have talked with some Army men. They feel like they are superior breed.

It all depends on what you want from life. I could never have done the things I have had I stayed in the Marine Corps. I wouldn't have been able to spend a summer in Europe. I wouldn't have been able to travel to Africa or South America.

I have had many adventures in my life that I would not have been able to have.

美国鬼子

letter P is silent in the word corps?

as per wikipedia:

A corps (/ˈkɔər/; plural corps /ˈkɔərz/; via French, from the Latin corpus "body")

Help

Waqaroptimist wrote:
zhenlai wrote:
wthbanmeagain wrote:

A peacetime army is pretty boring, once you learn your stuff.

Probably the most accurate book on this score is "From Here To Eternity," except that events have a plot and things happen. The Army mostly is routine. On the other hand, they did teach me German and I got to get out of the small town I had growed up in.

"You offer a compelling argument. However, it fails to take into account the fact that I am right and you are wrong."

Xylophone wrote:
Waqaroptimist wrote:
zhenlai wrote:
wthbanmeagain wrote:

Probably the most accurate book on this score is "From Here To Eternity," except that events have a plot and things happen. The Army mostly is routine. On the other hand, they did teach me German and I got to get out of the small town I had growed up in.

This reminds me of a novel which I couldn't complete. I don't remember the name, but it was of Ernest Hamingway. The main character was of an Army Soldier. And the last scene that I remember is that, he was in admitted in hospital and talking to his girlfriend. Now I am not sure whether she was a nurse there or just came to visit him.

So, personally, I do believe too that there is no thrill in being a soldier. Being an Army officer is a good thing to be, but never gona see anybody going in army as a Sepoy (soldier)..

Waqaroptimist wrote:
Xylophone wrote:
Waqaroptimist wrote:
zhenlai wrote:
wthbanmeagain wrote:

This reminds me of a novel which I couldn't complete. I don't remember the name, but it was of Ernest Hamingway. The main character was of an Army Soldier. And the last scene that I remember is that, he was in admitted in hospital and talking to his girlfriend. Now I am not sure whether she was a nurse there or just came to visit him.

So, personally, I do believe too that there is no thrill in being a soldier. Being an Army officer is a good thing to be, but never gona see anybody going in army as a Sepoy (soldier)..

it's Hemingway's short fiction, in which the man selfishly want his pregnant gf to have an abortion. i forgot the novel's name, but thats what i remember from my english course in Canada. when the man character grew up to an age as old as our jj, he went fishing and the novel's name changed to "old man and the sea"

Xylophone wrote:
Waqaroptimist wrote:
zhenlai wrote:
wthbanmeagain wrote:

A peacetime Marine Corps isn't that boring. I spent three years on a war footing in the Corps and 2 years of peace. Actually 21/2 years of war and 11/2 years of peace. I spent 6 months in country and 31/2 years at Henderson Hall in Arlington Virginia.

During my time in the Corps the Marines were sent to a lot of hotspots like the Mayaquez incident. When the Marines go on alert the whole damn Corps goes on alert.

美国鬼子

zhenlai wrote:
Xylophone wrote:
Waqaroptimist wrote:
zhenlai wrote:
wthbanmeagain wrote:

A peacetime Marine Corps isn't that boring. I spent three years on a war footing in the Corps and 2 years of peace. Actually 21/2 years of war and 11/2 years of peace. I spent 6 months in country and 31/2 years at Henderson Hall in Arlington Virginia.

During my time in the Corps the Marines were sent to a lot of hotspots like the Mayaquez incident. When the Marines go on alert the whole damn Corps goes on alert.

will you shoot me if china has a war on america and we were both military from the two sides?
nomorefanhey wrote:
Waqaroptimist wrote:
Xylophone wrote:
Waqaroptimist wrote:
zhenlai wrote:
wthbanmeagain wrote:

it's Hemingway's short fiction, in which the man selfishly want his pregnant gf to have an abortion. i forgot the novel's name, but thats what i remember from my english course in Canada. when the man character grew up to an age as old as our jj, he went fishing and the novel's name changed to "old man and the sea"

Yup, it was the old man and the sea, thanks. Smile The best thing about Enest Hamingway was his writing style. He writes so so so simple!

Waqaroptimist wrote:
nomorefanhey wrote:
Waqaroptimist wrote:
Xylophone wrote:
Waqaroptimist wrote:
zhenlai wrote:
wthbanmeagain wrote:

Yup, it was the old man and the sea, thanks. Smile The best thing about Enest Hamingway was his writing style. He writes so so so simple!

I wouldn't say he writes simple. I would say he writes artfully. There was magic in his pen; especially in his short stories.

美国鬼子

zhenlai wrote:
Waqaroptimist wrote:
nomorefanhey wrote:
Waqaroptimist wrote:
Xylophone wrote:
Waqaroptimist wrote:
zhenlai wrote:
wthbanmeagain wrote:

I wouldn't say he writes simple. I would say he writes artfully. There was magic in his pen; especially in his short stories.

Okay, he had an art to use simple words instead of heavy words to describe his thoughs!

You won't need a dictionary while reading him even if English is not your mother language. Smile

nomorefanhey wrote:
Waqaroptimist wrote:

Xylophone wrote:

Waqaroptimist wrote:

zhenlai wrote:

wthbanmeagain wrote:

The short story Hemingway wrote about two people subtly talking bout abortion is called 'Hills Like White Elephants'.