Ideal areas to live in Haidian

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

We are currently in China-small town in the NE-and we will be relocating to Beijing in late July/Early August. I have taken a teaching position in a school in the Haidian district and will need to find housing. Anyone have suggestions for best areas to live in this district. We are a family of four with two teenagers (that are homeschooled online). We are the only foreigners in our current town so we don't mind not being around other expats-just looking for a comfortable home that has a reasonable rent (6,000-8,000 RMB) for a 2 -3 bedroom apartment. The school does have a person who can assist but they really want to use a real estate agent but we are responsible for the fees. I have read a lot of blogs that report you can just go to apartment complexes and speak with the guards for a much smaller fee-does this really work?? Any assistance would be appreciated!!

~Audjoc

"The world is a book, if you don't travel, you will have only read one page." ~Saint Augustine

Hello,

I live in Haidian and prefer it to other locations in Beijing. To be honest, you will have a very difficult time finding a 3 bedroom apartment for 6,000-8,000 in this district. 1-bedrooms in shared units oftentimes go for close to that. Haidian District is the university district of Beijing and has some of the highest rent in the city. The core of Haidian is centered around the Wudaoku subway station. Rent will be particularly high around there and universities like Beijing Language and Culture University (BLCU). I live a few kilometers away from Wudaoku in a large 3-bedroom apartment. It is highly subsidized by the university where I teach, but the rent on the unit would run over 12,000 RMB per month if I actually paid the full rate. If you are looking for a 3-bedroom for about 8k I would look around the outskirts of Haidian, near the end of the subway lines. Possibly somewhere near the Summer Palace. There are some nice places out there.

Haidian = high tech companies + schools + rich parents

not a livable area tho.

i want to eliminate all my male fans. 1st one to be excuted: bambitcho

thanks

GeorgeThomas wrote:

Haidian = high tech companies + schools + rich parents

not a livable area tho.

That's why I sleep in the underpass near Wangfujing.

"A society with no other scale than the legal one is not worthy of man."---Solzhenitsyn

Not sure what the previous poster means as 'not a liveable area'.

I live in Haidian and I would say it is highly liveable, only problem is much of it is quiet and boring.

Wudaokou is the only source of excitement night life wise, and that is full of 20-year old college kids (both Chinese and Western). However, there are good Indian, Korean and American restaurants there, and D-Mart which is full of imported goods.

If you are happy to have a quiet life in probably central Beijing's most civilised district, you'll be fine. You don't sound like people who need to be within a few subway stops of the best bars and nightlife.

And, yes, you will have to go a few tube stops further out from Wudaokou / Haidian Huangzhuang, if you want somewhere reasonably spacious for that money. Possibly end of Line 4 or Bagou (line 10) or somewhere.

darkskinlover wrote:

And, yes, you will have to go a few tube stops further out from Wudaokou / Haidian Huangzhuang, if you want somewhere reasonably spacious for that money. Possibly end of Line 4 or Bagou (line 10) or somewhere.

Are you a lover of dark skin, a lover with dark skin (a dark-skinned lover), or both? (I'm not shopping: I'm a Bohunk boy who's white as a frog's belly in February.)

"A society with no other scale than the legal one is not worthy of man."---Solzhenitsyn

Hi there,

l live and work in Haidian.

Yes, it's expensive here and I highly recommend to

1) use a help of a Chinese person so you would get everything including free weekly apartment cleaning. Somehow when they see a foreigner they forget about a lot of things.

2) use an agency. My partner and me decided to resign a contract without an agency for the second year and the landlady wants now us to pay rediculous money for fixing gas stove, water heater and even for a fapiao that I needed for my taxes.

3) before going with a Chinese assistant and an agent check prices and apartments on websites of biggest agencies: lianjia, 21century, 5i5j. Remember though they keep some of the old ads that are not relevant already to attract more people.

4) try to check south or north of the area, check if there's a good commute. And try to find something close to your work. For example I spend 1 hour each way so 2 hours daily just on commuting. Also there's a bus stop but sometimes no bus for half an hour. I use uber all the time.

5) the hunt itself should take 2~3 days. Usually good apartment is taken within hours. So you go to an apartment, like it and take it right away.

Good luck

Personally, I'd live in a cheaper area and live with a 45 min-1 hr. commute.

Thanks for all of your responses! We have been focusing our search on the residential district of Tiancun Road. The prices look reasonable enough. We don't mind a quiet and "boring" area to live. We wouldn't have minded Chaoyang District but it looked like the commute would be close to 1.5 hours each way-based on "Google" maps, not sure if Google maps is accurate or not. I wouldn't mind an hour commute. My job will be at an International school in between line 6 and line 10. My school does have a van that will pick up at the subway stops of those two lines near the school.

Thanks for the tips regarding the apartment search @inaya- inna!

~Audjoc

"The world is a book, if you don't travel, you will have only read one page." ~Saint Augustine

Tiancun Road is a long, long way away from any subway station, or anything really.

Strongly recommend that you find somewhere much closer to a subway stop, otherwise you'll be spending a serious amount of time on a bus or bus then subway into the downtown area, which you'll still want to go to sometimes.

That far in the outer ghetto, there will probably be illegal taxis to take you to the subway stop, which will be expensive and annoying to deal with (not to mention can actually get you in trouble in Beijing, unlike smaller Chinese cities). Also, good luck getting a taxi to drive you that far out if you're downtown. Expect a horrified look, and a 'bu xing' as the taxi speeds away.