Has anyone taken an in person, 4 week TEFL course in Beijing?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi Everyone,

I am researching different in person TEFL courses around the world, with the idea of working in Beijing afterwards as an english teacher. Has anyone done a TEFL course in Beijing?

This is the only course I could find:

https://www.teflcourse.net/tefl-courses-locations/china/beijing/

Does anyone have experience with this company or know any others offering the same thing?

Many thanks in advance, any information is much appreciated,

Beenager

You better check with goverment websites ( only some of tbhem are approved for visas).

If your non native doesnt matter if you got it .Your not getting in.

If you are native then you would still have to leave the country and get all the proper paperwork.

Better to do the goverment approved ones and if your native there are more then enough job offers floating around

Thanks Zyplan,

I am a native speaker, with a bachelor degree so I think I will be ok in terms of job offers. The reason I want to take a TEFL course is to actually learn how to teach, and so I am wondering whether to do that in Beijing or in another country like Vietnam. If Beijing has a quality course then I would prefer it.

"You're," not "your."

Life gives only the choice of victory or defeat. It does not grant the luxury of war or peace."---Oswald Spengler

Don't take a course unless it's the CELTA or the Trinity if you want a visa in China.

The course is NOT useful by and large. I know that if I taught using those methods in mainland China my employers and students would be highly displeased. (Have a CELTA.)

These two qualifications are however the "standard." Don't waste your money on anything else. I had another TEFL previously through a Chinese uni, but it's not recognized by the Chinese gov now.

If you ask me, it's a lot of impracticle gobbledy-gook that will impede the student's progress, but at the same time, these are what the gov holds as the standard.

Students will get much further in their fluency with 1. reading 2. role-playing and 3. discussion exercises.

I know how to teach grammar backwards and forwards, but none of that compares with getting them to use the language in real or semi-real application.

In terms of grammar, they'll pick up much more through reading. It's called "passive learning" and it's far superior to actively teaching it til the cows come home. The FT shines when he or she guides students in the practical application of the language.

U.S.A.: We got the nukes!

New PsioncyCast!

Trinity or CELTA? The education Mafia strikes again. I know good teachers having those qualifications; I do not know any good teachers using these in the classroom.

Life gives only the choice of victory or defeat. It does not grant the luxury of war or peace."---Oswald Spengler