The owner of this Shuangjing restaurant cut her teeth at Steak and Eggs; she’s now created a menu of her own offering a sizeable selection of classically greasy North American and Tex-Mex fare like cheeseburgers, roast beef melt subs and chicken or beef fajitas. All-day breakfast specials including buttermilk pancakes with two eggs, plus bacon, sausage or ham. Generously sized beef burritos come wrapped in suitably soft, yet resilient tortillas, with assorted vegetables and “Lily’s spices.” The beef nachos aren’t quite like those in Texas, but they’re entirely edible by Beijing standards.
No event here now.
- Burgers and Hotdogs
- Late Night Dining
- Mexican and Tex-Mex
- Shuangjing / Dongsihuan-双井东四环
- Sihui and Ciyunsi-四惠慈云寺
User reviews of Lily's American Diner 莉莉斯
I have been a long term customer at Lily's and have disagreed with most of the negative reviews of this restaurant on TheBeijinger. That is, until now. While I still don't think this is "A disgusting restaurant", it is but a shadow of its former self.
I have regularly had issues over the years with the following:
- staff unable to follow the order given by phone - countless scrambled eggs instead of sunny-side ups, Rose Mama's rolls with onions when asked without, burgers with pickles when asked without, missing items...
- distrust when calling back to fix the order - questionning my integrity and borderline accusing me of lying, and always insisting on taking the mistaken item back (as if they could sell it again...)
- long time taken for delivery (especially during winter, with unadapted packaging), resulting in cold food, or brown salad in the burgers, or, coupled with rough transportation over Beijing's famously hilly roads I assume, leaks in the bags
- unclear promotion at the restaurant, resulting in actually paying more, and being rude about it (the Chinese friend I was with vowed not to buy from LAD anymore ever a few years back because of it)
- introduction of the infamous useless "spork" instead of the originally barely passable cutleries, obviously to save money
But what was the last straw, and prompted this review, is the recent switch from direct delivery by phone to the delivery platform Eleme. With all the issues above, there was a way, albeit rather annoying, to fix the situation: calling, bitching, and getting the service and products you paid for. Now, this is gone - with the intermediary, there is no way to ask for rightful reparation without missing your meal time, and the delivery time became even longer.
In Shuangjing in particular, LAD is maybe the default choice for decent western food delivery. I will still order whenever I have cravings, but less often and with much lower expectations (and that's something given how not high they were in the first place). I would imagine this is what keeps the restaurant afloat, and it is a pity to see they are destroying their own business by cutting down on quality.
I think it is disgusting that a restaurant can be so blatant and obvious in their efforts to seed reviews in a bid to bolster their rating on here. The fact is: Lily's sells overpriced, low quality food, most of which is very bad and some of which is even bordering on putrid. I know tons of friends who have gotten sick eating there. The only people who regularly eat at Lily's are clueless locals who don't know any better, and fresh off the boat expats who don't realize that there are better options for the same price or less.
I pray that the brickening wipes out every lily's location. Or a flood. But considering the quality of their nasty food, a plague is most likely.
I used to live in Shuangjing when i first came to Beijing and visit Lily's often(2-3 times a week) in the restaurant and order for delivery to home every other day.
Now I live in Dongzhimen and their latest location is just fantastic - staff are even more professional and spoke better English, food qualtiy above average in Sanlitun even all the Jing city. Price is more than fair. So I am pretty happy about that.
However every now and then I'd remember about the shuangjing days and feel a bit sadness, something a bit like homesick.
It starts to feel like holiday season. Last year we had thanksgiving dinner at Lily's, it was so good and a home party at a friend's during the weekend we found out the turkey they had was so good, and they told us they got it from Lily's... LOL. Such a coincidence! Have been regular customers ever since,
This year we will definitely be back for more!